My phone got wet.

I was kayaking and my Iphone got a little wet but it was not completely submerged. The phone worked fine and I even made a call on it a couple minutes later. After an hour or so I tried to get back on it and the screen would not respond to my touch. I held down the power and home button down and the screen turned black. I put it on the charger but nothing happened. Now when I try and turn it on the phone buzzes once but doesn't turn on. I put it in rice but I don't know what I should do from there.

Most Helpful Answer

Your phone is likely short circuted due to the charging and use while it was on, but there is still hope if you act quickly! Read through the article below, then follow the guides to open your phone and clean it well with alcohol. If that fails, you are likely out of luck. I also recommend replacing the battery to eliminate the risk of fire and short circuits. Hope this helps!

Electronics Water Damage

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

iPhone 6 Logic Board Replacement

iPhone 6 Replacement Battery

iPhone 6 Replacement Battery Image
iPhone Image

Guide

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

Difficulty: Difficult1 - 2 часы

iPhone 6 Logic Board Image

Guide

iPhone 6 Logic Board Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate30 minuten - 2 uren

garinkoshinski39 this is more of an amendment to the previous answer. I do feel that it needs a bit more detail.

I suggest you treat it just like any other water damaged iPhone. The very first thing you want to do is to not try to restart, sync or otherwise try to use the phone. This may further damage your phone. The next thing to do, is to clean it. Disassemble your phone using [this guide You must remove all EMI shileds on your phones logic board or you are not clean 75% of it. Then clean it with +90% isopropyl alcohol. Follow this guide , and even so it was written for a Apple iPhone 3G all the points are still pertinent to your phone. While you clean your board, check for any obvious damage, like burned or missing components etc. The best way to clean it would of course with an ultrasonic bath, so you may consider a professional service for that. When it is properly cleaned, replace the battery. This is not an option but a must. Any Li-Ion battery that was exposed needs to be replaced since it will fail. Lithium and water do not go well together. All these steps are to avoid delayed failure caused by corrosion. Once all this is done, reassemble your phone and reevaluate. Remember that water damage is the most difficult to repair since virtually any part may have failed. You can try to get your phone to power up again, but keep in mind that it is still a damaged phone afterwards.

iPhone Image

Guide

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

Difficulty: Difficult1 - 2 часы

iPhone 6 Logic Board Image

Guide

iPhone 6 Logic Board Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate30 minuten - 2 uren

garinkoshinski39 will be eternally grateful.