Repair and disassembly guides for Kenmore Microwaves.

My microwave just stopped. The outlet is getting power. No light?

It is a Kenmore model 721.89941490. Above range style. I am wondering if it can be a fuse. We have had no problems until now.

It has no power to the clock, or power pad.

I just bought my oster microwave and there is no power what so ever.

Can anyone help me solve

kimnrhoades, in order to help you solve the problem it would be best to give more information. Is it new? Is it second hand? Have you checked to see if there is power to the sock that you have the microwave plugged into?

What could be the fault if microwave keep cutting off fuse immediately it pick?

These things will kill you. I don't recommend trying to fix it. I wouldn't even try to fix my own. Either get a new one (they're relatively cheap now) or call a serviceman. Your fuse has probably blown out but there's a reason it did so please don't mess with it.

Absolutely agree. That stuff you don't want to mess with.

Most Helpful Answer

Although I agree with not touching anything inside the unit a fuse replacement is an easy fix. on most microwaves all you do is remove the cabinet and you should see the fuse in the open. use a fuse removal tool and replace it with the same voltage and amp fuse. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!! The capacitor inside the has enough voltage up to 300 volts to deliver a good zap. The magnatron from what I understand will kill you.

It is difficult to give an exact answer from your question since more information is needed. To narrow the fault down a technician will make a number of observations and tests. You have made a start but here are a few more:

1. Is the display indicating anything? Since you outlet is working it is therefore a fault in the microwave.
  2. Unplug the microwave and remove the covers. There is usually no safely issues in working on an unplugged microwave except that on very rare occasions the high voltage capacitor may remain charged. Shorting it is a quick indication whether is charged and will also make it safe.
  3. Check the main fuse (usually located on a circuit board where the power cable terminates.
  4. If it is blown there would be any number of causes including a power surge, faulty door switches, etc. A technician will be able to determine the cause.

Have this unit and has been a good unit till last night. I can turn the unit on, all lights work, fan seems to be working, but it is sounding very strange. Last night sparks started flying out of the side vents. Upon opening the unit, you could smell something was burning. Obvously it is not working. I assume it is either the magnitron or the transformer. Is there any way to tell? It looks like I can replace both parts for about $120 or I can purchase a similar unit for $350. The problem is the new units are larger and will require some modification of the space in the kitchen. Should I:

A). Take it to a service repari shop and see what they would charge to fix it?

B). Order the parts and replace them myself, but from reading above that looks dangerous

C). Throw the damed thing away and cut my losses?

Everything works in my microwave except not able to heat anything.What is recommendation

wotrubadick, if you see this (which you probably wont) Get a new microwave.

wotrubadick, if you are a technician check the HV fuse, HV cap, and check for shorts from magnetron filament to ground. If you are not a technician take it to to a business or a technician for repair.

Cameron, the idea here is to fix things rather than to discard them.

B.

Let me know the outcome please..

Bonnie Hammack will be eternally grateful.