Model A1224 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2, 2.4, or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Compatibles full SSD Hard drives

I'm about to upgrade my iMac hard drive to get some speed improvement (model 2007 20" EMC 2133)

I would like to ask the forum if is possible to use a full SSD device. In iFixit I only saw for this model the "Seagate" hybrid, Can I use a pure SSD?

Paolo

Your systems specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo

Thanks George and thanks Dan,

I have mounted already the maximum ram allowed on the EMC2311 and cleaned-up the machine a bit, created new user etc. which helped but not too much. I'm using El Captain as OS and an external 2T usb drive plus a Toshiba Canvio NAS as additional storage for my pictures but the speed is the problem, not fast enough as I wish, hence the last attempt before changing machine would be the HDD to SSD swap, but yes may end up spending on an aged 10 years old machine...still is less than a new/refurbished/ ..I will give a try, perhaps with an SSHD as you said.

While you could put in a 2.5" SSD you'll hit a few issues. Your system has a SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) interface so what ever drive you put in will need to support that speed (review the drives spec sheet). You'll need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter frame to hold the SSD replacing your current HD. This systems optical drive is only a PATA drive which is very slow so I wouldn't waste the effort swapping out the optical drive for a SSD or even an HD.

The last issue you face here is installing the older OS this system needs. Apple doesn't offer it any more in their App Store. So you'll need to find your original CD/DVD's that came with your system or can locate the retail version and you might need to upgrade your RAM to 4 GB or 6 GB to use one of the newer OS's this system still supports.

Now the Rub! You may end up spending more money trying to boost your old system when you might find a used newer model (used) that might make better sense going forward. Don't forget the bigger SSD's are quite expensive if you need more storage space a SSHD maybe a better direction. You do get a snapper system with a hybrid HD vs a traditional HD.

Here's the IFIXIT guide you'll need to follow: iMac Intel 20" EMC 2133 and 2210 Hard Drive Replacement You'll need to place the thermal sensor back onto your new drive (HD or SSD) as the system requires it.

paolo.cricelli will be eternally grateful.