Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Cleaned screen, everything works except the proximity sensor.

So I had some dust under my iPhone's screen and after some problems with the home button refusing to work, I've got it all working again. I just realized that when making a call, the screen will not turn off which leads me to believe that the Cable #3 isn't in correctly. I'm curious though, how is this possible when I'm able to call people and hear them? Doesn't Cable 3 handle all that? Any ideas for a fix?

Cable 3 controls proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, and ear speaker. You can easily damage the ribbon to where the ear speaker works and the proximity sensor does not. I would try and reseat the ribbon and see if that helps. If not, replace.

iPhone 3GS Proximity Sensor Ribbon Replacement

Andrew Balch will be eternally grateful.