The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

Crashes and freezes, glitches

Hey, so I'm using MacBook Pro 13 retina (early 2015) 128gb, 8ram; macOS Sierra v10.12.4. All latest updates installed.

About a month ago I started getting these odd crashes/glitches.. certain parts of the apps go blank or black, it becomes impossible to use anything. Then it can just crash completely - become unresponsive (nothing works at all, including touchpad) and only fixes itself after power off (holding power button) and back on. This happens basically every day but seems pretty random - doesn't matter which app is running exactly or what is being done. Here's a screenshot of the issue: screenshot

(as you can see uTorrent s basically blacked out, 'displays' window shows some glitch, apple menu is empty, part of chrome is blacked out and the stuff you enter into the address bar is invisible)

I tried wiping and reinstalling macOS from scratch via recovery, resetting NVRAM/SMC, but that didn't resolve the problem. Tried using Apple Hardware Test, memtest, and various HDD tests - none of them show any issues.

No idea what else to do about it, the hardware seems to be ok, but reinstalling the software doesn't help.. Anybody ever experienced this $@$*? Is there any way to fix it?

upd: So I open the lid today and it greets me with this freeze of 2 misplaced "loading" icons:

screenshot... reboot fixed it as usually. Makes me want to throw it outta the window :)

First time I've seen this..

Before we launch into hypothesis (unless someone saw it before and can chime in), did it ever suffer any drop or liquid spill?

What anti-virus program are you using?

No, the laptop was purchased new and nicely packed, was never turned on before me, during extensive use for 1.5 years I never dropped it, spilled anything on it or whatever, used with care.

I'm not using any anti-viruses and I don't think I actually should on Mac, I never download things from random places or visit whatever trash sites. Anyway, as I mentioned, I tried reinstalling the OS via recovery multiple times but the issue is still there..

I'm having the same issues with the same macbook pro, although I've got 256 GB harddrive. I work on both Firefox and Chrome simultaneously, and it seems the macbook just randomly freezes completely. It can happen 3 times a day, or once a week. It also gets pretty hot when this happens. The only way to get out of it, is to hold down the power button and restart it.

I do have several anti-virus programmes running, since I had some malware unwantingly installed on my laptop. They don't show anything however when I do a scan. So far, I haven't found any solutions regarding this issue.

Your best friend can infect you with just an email attachment. While it was true for many years that the Security updates handled most virus on a Mac, once Apple became the largest corporation in the world and a greedy corporate mentality took over after Steve Jobs died, Apple became a target. They became a target just like MicroSoft did. Bill Gates has faded into the background now.

70% of the Macs I get in in the four years are infected.

I prefer Symantec Endpoint protection, MacAffe is good as are a couple of others.

Free virus protection? You get what you pay for.

Cool story, but is irrelevant to the main problem, I mentioned I reinstalled the system multiple times, I checked for viruses just in case, obviously the reason for what's happening is somewhere else, but it's unclear how to actually pinpoint it..

@mayer I had a 15" Retina MBP 2013 the other day that was freezing GPU like. Before I started measuring voltage in preparation of my usual fix, I ran a scan and found it to be crippled by numerous adwares. After cleaning up, it ran perfect.

I tried Symantec Norton and ESET antivirus. It doesn't works. Macbook still freezes.

Mr. Mayer. It seems that you doesn't studied enough this problem.

By the way this programs solved a few cases of infected docs that are only a problem in a Windows computer.

@pepgc It seems to have solved the problem that the original question asker had as my answer has been accepted. Maybe you haven't studied enough because I don't have a problem, you do ;=)

Vadym D will be eternally grateful.