Front Panel itself has separated into two?

I had a swollen battery with this phone and I replaced it with one of iFixIt's replacement batteries. However, as I was putting the screen back on, it seems that the whole part separated into two items of their own. A part that is primarily glass, and the rest which is the silver part we can see if we look at the part from the back.

Did I permanently damage my screen? It doesn't work now. Perhaps some of the cables at the top got moved and something got out of place?

It depends how you took out the screen when you first opened it.

When it comes to swollen batteries that pushed the screen up separating the glass from the screen frame I always run a razor blade on the side between the iPhone housing and screen frame gap to pop up the screen from the sides when I lift up the screen because when a suction cup is used it's almost guaranteed the screen will get damaged as the cables coming from the screen would be very loose from the frame.

Has the phone been repaired before? Maybe perhaps the metal plate that goes on top of the screen connectors were missing if it was repaired before?

Most you can do is try replugging the screen connectors and checking for any dust on them otherwise it's going to need the screen to be replaced (after all the screen has already separated completely from the screen frame and does not work anymore).

Thank you for replying. The phone has not been repaired before. The cables seem intact, but I guess it's something my untrained eye can't see. I will most likely replace the screen, thank you. :)

TiTravameKaiDenToMartirame will be eternally grateful.