Circle with a slash

My hard drive failed so I replaced it and now when it starts I get a circle with a slash. I have tried to reset the pram holding the Command, option +r+p , I think that was the combination. I was able to hold the option button down at start up and the recovery icon came up. As soon as I clicked it I get the circle with the slash again. Please help!

If this is your system: MacBook Pro 15" 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo (2009)

You could have two issues here:

The first is this series has a SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) HD port so the drive you put in needs to be either a fixed SATA II HD or a auto sensing drive that can run at SATA II. Many drives are fixed speed so review the drives spec sheet to see if SATA II is listed if not you'll need to find another drive.

The second is this series only supports OS X 10.11.x El Capitan or older OS. If you are trying to run MacOS Sierra it won't run. In addition this series does not support Internet OS recovery services so you'll need to install the OS from either a OS installer CD (grey) or the retail version (picture of a Lion) if you still have these older OS's. Or, created a bootable USB drive with the Mavericks or El Capitan OS installers.

I bought a new hard drive that is compatible. Now I am not able to install El Capitan because I get this error : this copy of the install os x application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X.

How can I install this if Sirrea will not work?

Thank you

Easy fix! You'll need to alter the systems date (back date) as the installer has an expiration date to force people to upgrade. Now the tricky part ;-{

See below for the full details

Sounds to me like you are probably trying to install a system that is to high for your machine. Exactly what machine do you have? What system are you trying to install and where did you get it? Does it meet the system requirements for the operating system you are trying to install. The install may also be to old a download.

Also did you first format the new drive GUID and MacOSX?

It is a 2009 MacBook Pro. I actually installed a lower capacity HDD to see if I could get it to work. Installed a 120Gb drive.

As I suspected, your machine won't go to Sierra:

macOS Sierra requires at least 2GB of RAM and 8GB of storage space and will run on:

iMac: Late 2009 or newer.

MacBook and MacBook Retina: Late 2009 or newer.

MacBook Pro: Mid 2010 or newer.

MacBook Air: Late 2010 or newer.

Mac Mini: Mid 2010 or newer.

Mac Pro: Mid 2010 or newer.

People say to me all the time, "Hey Mayer, you're really smart about this Mac stuff". Nah, --- Truth be known is that I just made the mistake first ;-) Experience: that most brutal of teachers.

Mayer, my machine is a Mid-2009 15" and has 4GB ram and the HDD I just installed is 120GB. I'm not sure what you are saying since everything I have in there meets the requirements. Let me start by saying the hard drive failed and I lost everything. Right when my old drive failed the only thing it would do it start up to a white screen. I could hear the drive clicking and new what is was. I put a new drive in which is the 120GB. I feel like I am missing a step here and hope someone could guide me. I tried the option button and it does come up with the recovery option but as soon as I click it the circle with the slash comes up then the mac shuts off after about 30 seconds. Any ideas? Thank you

Where in the world did you find a 120GB hard drive? The maximum system you can use is El Capitan. Use Disk Utilities from your original System installation DVD. Format the drive GUID and them Mac OS X. Then install the system. If you have problems seeing the drive internally, you may need to replace the Hard drive IR cable.

Did you install OSX on the replacement drive?

Also you should correctly identify your macbook using the Ultimate Mac Lookup from Everymac:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-loo...

Intro. June 8, 2009

A Model A1286 (EMC 2324*)

Family Mid-2009 15" ID MacBookPro5,4

RAM 4 GB VRAM 256 MB

Storage 250 GB HDD Optical 8X DL "SuperDrive"

I tried to install the OS by the way of USB then install but I got a flashing folder Icon.

@rcl1964 , when replacing a hard drive, you normally need to reload the operating system and other programs that came with it.

If you have a fast internet connection, you can use Internet recovery.

Otherwise, if you know someone with a working Mac, you can have them make a bootable USB installer for OS X.

I will give this a try. Thank you

I tried the Command, option +R but nothing happens. The only thing that works is just holding the option button down at start. Like I said in my post, once I click the recovery icon it goes back the circle with the slash. It will then shut off after about 30 seconds

Are you connected to the Internet?

If you don't have a working OS on the system you can't get access to the setting. So the only way I can think of here is to reset the NVRAM How to reset NVRAM on your Mac or using Target Disk Mode Use target disk mode to share files between two Mac computers using a second Mac to install the OS from. Here you still need to backwind the date as well. Go into the the Date & Time control panel and disable Set date & time automatically and then alter the date back to a the point the El Capitan was available (2016) then restart and then the installer should work. Just remember to select your system as the target drive.

The last possibility is to create an OS installer USB to boot up with to alter the date How to make a bootable OS X 10.11 El Capitan installer drive and run the installer from it.

Rcla1964 will be eternally grateful.