Golf cart was chattering, now won't move.

I have a 2007 R&T 4-seater electric golf cart. A week ago, when I would step on the accelerator the cart would try to move forward but chattered terribly. Usually, the motor would kick in and run smoothly with the help of a push.

Eventually, though, the cart wouldn't move at all. I could hear the solenoid clicking when I depressed the pedal, but nothing else happened.

I replaced the solenoid on a hunch. Now it still clicks, but the cart shows no sign of movement at all.

The batteries are old and all show a charge of 8.1v. They were functioning just fine before the "chatter" issue evolved, but did not hold a charge for very long. Is that the "obvious" issue?

I know less about electrical systems than I do quantum physics, and I can't afford to throw money hand over fist just replacing parts. I don't know if I need a new motor, controller, batteries, or just a diode. Can somebody please help? Thanks.

@shaverin your batteries are not providing enough power to your cart. Check the individual batteries and see if there is one or two that may still be usable, ultimately it sounds like your cart is due for new ones. After that you want to re-evaluate your motor. Right now anything will be a guess since you are having some battery issues.

The problem turned out to be the brushes on the motor. Two of the 4 brushes were burned due to poor contact, which resulted in the "chattering" I was experiencing.

Most Helpful Answer

@shaverin , Steve, Does sound like a faulty battery/connection issue. Found some info. at the link below.May have loose connection somewhere, check/clean/reseat all connections and check all fuses. Have batteries checked, have a load test done on the battery bank,as batteries could be bad if all connections good. Controller could also be defective. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

http://scducks.com/forum/showthread.php?...

Steve, Thanks for replying back, great to hear your issue is solved with the cart. Have a good week end.

Steve will be eternally grateful.