Repair guides for many brands of PC laptop (notebook) computer.

Is 50°c normal for a laptop hard drive?

My laptop has been running hot, and I noticed that the hard drive was running at 50°+. My desktop's hard drive never hits 30°, but of course it isn't the main drive, and it has good cooling. Thanks!

@pccheese, George A. I was curious about this also, so I checked out quite a few forums and they were all pretty close to the same conclusion on HD ideal and safe operating ranges. Look's like yours may be running on the high side of acceptable. Maybe also look up your particular HD and it may have actual heat range specification. Found this info. at the link below which you should check out as it is fairly informative, talks about failure rates, etc..

What is a Safe Hard Disk Temperature Range?

Drawing conclusions from the Google paper, smaller independent studies and tech forum users:

Hard Disk Temperature

Less than 25°C: Too cold

25°C to 40°C: Ideal

41°C to 50°C: Acceptable

More than 50°C: Too hot

Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

http://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temper...

Well... I guess I'll have to find some really thin heatsinks. Or something else.

P.S. I press the "helpful" button whenever I see a post of yours. I don't need to read it to know it's helpful.

@pccheese, Thanks George, perhaps a cooling pad.

George A. will be eternally grateful.