Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

iPhone 7 home button not working after screen replacement?

So I currently work at a repair shop, and so far 1/3 customer iPhone 7/7 plus has been a success. Everything seems to be working fine except for the home button. I know for a fact that there can't be any damage to the home button flex since I've removed it very carefully and installed it carefully as well. Same 4 screw and everything but no luck. I even used the customer old screen and marked it as a no fix but sadly it stopped working with the original screen as well. It bothers me so much not knowing what I did wrong??? As I've done over hundreds of iPhones and never broken a Touch ID Flex before. Is there a technique to removing one cause I mean from my experience a iPhone 6 Touch ID with the heat plate is harder to remove than the iPhone 7's.

Where are you getting your screens from?

Hey Gigabit878, I wish I tell you but corporate orders the parts and we just do the repairs. I don't think its a screen issue since I've connected the home button to the original apple screen as well and theres no function.

I own a repair shop and have been working on iphone's since the iphone 3.

The bottom line is this: The iphone 7 is the Apple Cooperation's 1st real attempt to prevent after market repair shops like us from repairing their phones. See Repair.org's website as they are lobbying in several states to stop this as it is unconstitutional. The Home buttons are electronically linked to the LCD's and will almost 100% of the time detect a screen replacement, even a premium original refurbished apple one. Motherboard.com published a picture of a device that the Apple stores use to change out LCD's and re sink them the the motherboard. The only way we have found to repair the 7's is to remove the frame and gorilla glass (working LCD and digi only) and replace it using loca or oca glue. This way your are keeping the original LCD and home button intact and together. If you want to stay in this business, you will need to learn how to preform this repair and acquire the proper equipment.

-Joe

iPhone Repair Hospital

Sorry Joe, but I disagree, I've been using original refurbished screens for a long time on the iPhone 7, not the original one that came with the phone either, and it's been completely fine every time.

I think most techs are either making mistakes, or they are using low quality garbage which is causing them issues.

They aren't even linked to the LCD, if that was the case, we wouldn't be able to change LCDs at all.

It is hooked through an extension flex that routes under the 3D Touch panel, I refurbish screens myself so I know this.

Also, why did you even mention LOCA? LOCA has absolutely no place in iPhone screen refurbishment, especially on the 6S and above, as it messes with the 3D Touch.

Yes, a lot of people have seen the 'horizon' machine that Apple use to pair a new home button to the phone.

Please don't spread false information, you can absolutely replace the iPhone 7 LCD and still have a working home button, people need to stop using low quality garbage, and be careful during the repair.

Has this problem been resolved or is the home button still an issue?

I've seen this question crop up a lot when it comes to the iPhone 7 and 7 plus, and I'm going to throw in a few ideas.

One of the biggest reasons it doesn't work, is down to screen quality, copy screens just don't tend to work with the home buttons, this could be due to missing traces in the cable that don't support it, or could be something else.

I've used original refurbished with every repair and never had one issue so far.

When removing the button from the original, I know people say they remove it carefully, but the home button removal procedure is a little more difficult compared to previous iPhones, especially since the extension cable isn't stuck down, this requires you to get a spudger and hold the extension down whilst unplugging the button.

You also mentioned that the home button also didn't work on the original screen either, this may be because you damaged the home button flex, or you have damaged the extension cable on the original screen, I see a lot of people lay the screen flat after they have opened the iPhone, this causes stresss on the flex and may break traces inside that cable, or again, may have been broke during removal of the home button.

Always try to use original or original refurbish, if this doesn't work, it may be the extension cable that's faulty, if it doesn't work with another replacement, you may have damaged the home button itself.

Also check that you haven't placed the bracket under the shield, it needs to be on top of the shield.

what bracket/shield are you referring to in your last tip?

The home button bracket :-)

Does having the bracket above/below affect touch ID and home button functionality?

I believe it can if it's not put on correctly as it apparently causes a short.

If that's not your issue, you need to look elsewhere, such as possibly your screen (the extension flex that connects the home button)

Or possible tear in the home button flex.

Hey,my iPhone 7 got water damaged and the screen went blank but the home button was working than after it came back from repairs the home button is not working but it should work because it's connected to the LCD and the LCD is working

It honestly has to do with screen quality a cheaper screen has a $@$* cable on it these do not have the sufficent traces to allow touch id and home button functionality.

The only screens I use are Mobiledefenders.com Premium i have never had a issue with the home button and touch ID also make sure you disconnect the battery first and always put it on last power to the board without the screen attached messes with the BioMetric Sensor on the Board.

Hope this Helps

Stephen T

CPR Cellphone Repair

Mobile Device Specialist.

Honestly I don't think its the screen cable... I know exactly what you're talking about, with the 6s repairs theres always a few where it will always never work with the Touch ID. Reason why is because i connected their home button back to the original broken screen and it did not work as well... my co-workers have be discussing about this and seeing if there is a torque level in the center piece where the home button is.

Dude, it's your displays. 1 out of 3 successful? You've got to me kidding me? There's no way I would accept that at my shop

Agreed IMedic ive never run into issues except with cheap $@$* screens

Thanks for replying guys, and i understand your guy's answers. but it still doesn't solve the reason why the home button will not work with the OEM original screen from apple that the phone came with?

I wonder if the cheap screens are causing the home buttons to get damaged and stop working. But I've never had a case of that on iPhone 6s screens coming from my supplier.

I had the same problem - the problem was in the new display itself. (Reliable source, can happen) Ordered another screen, problem was solved. Guess the cable underneath the backlight/LCD that connects to your homebutton can be defective in some displays.

This was my first-encounter with a home button issue IPhone 7....thanks to these answer it solved the issue. I know now how import is the quality of the lcd is .... Will be looking a better source to buy from...

This is a very common failure since the 6S.

i had the same exact problem and replace the home button but still not working any suggestions>?

Yes, rule out bad screen, and it sounds like you did that by putting it back on original screen.

iPhone 7 home buttons are finicky, the screws on bracket don't like to be overtightened. What we are seeing now is that the turtle ic (also called U10 in China) on the home button flex itself is easy to damage. This ic controls the transfer of capacitive home button pressure input into ones and zeros that the logic board can understand. If you have an iPhone 7 that has home button not working after screen swap, but touch ID DOES work, then that really points to turtle ic which can be changed by microsolderers.

Torn flex is also a possibility but it sounds like you are being super careful not to do this--especially after you had a failure with the first one! I've seen one with a tiny pin !$$&* of flex damage from tweezers. You can look at the flex under a microscope to see if you are damaging the flex.

Lastly software--in a scenario where you put a home button on a bad screen and then swap it back to the original for troubleshooting you may need to reboot the phone once to rule out the board just ignoring the home button sensor.

good luck!

Jessa of iPad Rehab

I think I have this problem you mentioned about the overtightening. My home button works but touch ID doesn't. Is the turtle IC located on the home button itself?

I've never had an issue with the quality of the screen being the issue of a home button not working. I have however seen the issue to be a ripped or damaged home button flex or the back plate not being the original which has caused the home button not to work properly.

I've also read that any damage done to the home button will cause the button to never work again as well as even a replacement because it's not the original. You probably would need a new backplate and a new button for the button to be recognizable.

Hope this helps :)

I read this full article, so disappointed with people comments as they are talking same thing over and over, any I have also something similar to this brother like i change the LCD and home button didn’t work, I tried whatever people told above but nothing, what I did, I get another iphone 7 and take its complete front panel i mean lcd with home button from a nother working iphone 7 and attached to my iphone and home button still doesnt work, i forget to mention the phone I was working on had broken home button as well. Any body can help me to sort it. I changed several LCD and Home button replacements, generic and originals from the phone.

Thanks and your help will be highly appreciated

Only the original home button will work, no other button will work, OEM or not.

Just like Ged said before, only the original homebutton (the one that sits in your iPhone) will work.

i'm going to have to agree with the quality of screen as the culprit in this situation. after the second instance in our shop with an iPhone 7 screen replacement causing, what seemed to be, a shorted circuit between the home button flex and the new assembly, we bit the bullet and began using original refurbished replacement screens.

Nope just unplugged the home button connector realised I hadn't the right pentelope driver and Plugged home button back in and booted phone up and home button hasn't worked since didn't even change the screen ? No damage to nothing ?

It's Apple up to something

Where do you get refurbished original replacement screens?

Try software...

I had iphone this week and I replaced the screen, before I replace I connected the lcd with out home button, and then put together everything and replaced the screen... after replacing I was testing the phone, and realize touch id is not working, after this I did again and starts working...

There is also this to consider:

Posted about the same time as the original poster...

Sorry Folks, iPhone 7 Home Buttons Aren’t User Replaceable

WRITTEN BY JULIA BLUFF

Bad news for the DIY-inclined: looks like the home button in an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus can’t be replaced with a different one. If you break the button or rip the cable, you’ll have to go to the folks at the Genius Bar for a repair—or be stuck with a completely non-functioning home button.

....

The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus appears to take this feature a step further. Home button replacement—or damage to the original home button cable—renders the button completely non-functional: no Touch ID and (here’s the new part) no return-to-menu ability. You can still navigate your phone by turning on Assistive Touch. But for all practical purposes, you’ve got a dead home button. One that you can’t fix on your own or at an independent repair shop.

~~~

Read the rest here:

https://ifixit.org/blog/9020/no-fix-ipho...

David will be eternally grateful.