My Maytag fridge freezer is cold, but fridge is not.

The refrigerator compartment is warm, but the freezer is cold. The evaporator coil was frosted over. How can I fix it?

Thanks for the help. I checked the heater and it had continuity. So I replaced the defrost thermostat and my fridge is now cooling properly. However, once the freezer got cold again (after I plugged the fridge in) i placed the old defrost thermostat in and it had continuity. I don't know why the new one worked if the old one had continuity.

Hi @frankusm2 ,

What is the model number of the fridge?

After the evaporator coil was defrosted does the evaporator fan work when the fridge is on? You'll have to listen for it as it will be stopped if the doors are open. (Unless you know where the door switches are that is)

If not check the fan and replace if faulty. Use an Ohmmeter (disconnect power from fridge) to check for continuity through the fan.

If fan OK check the defrost heater and make sure that it is OK. Use an Ohmmeter (disconnect power from fridge) to check for continuity through the heater.

If heater OK check the defrost thermostat to see if it is OK.

Hi @frankusm2 ,

Here is an image showing where the heater is located

(click on image to enlarge for better viewing)

Here is a link to just one supplier of the part. It is not a recommendation to use them, it is shown just to give an idea of the cost.

Here is a link to the same supplier which shows an exploded view of all the parts and also their prices in case the problem is something else.

Maytag model # MBF1958WEW1

The evaporator fan does work.

Where is the defrost heater? I couldn't find it anywhere near the evaporator.

Thanks for your help!

Most Helpful Answer

Cause 1

The Evaporator Coils are Frosted Over

The defrost heater assembly turns on a few times throughout the day to melt away any frost that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the defrost heater assembly is defective, frost will continue to accumulate on the evaporator coils, and the coils will become plugged with frost. If the evaporator coils are frosted over, the airflow through the coils will be restricted, causing the refrigerator not to cool. Check the evaporator coils to determine if they are frosted over. If the evaporator coils are frosted over, test each component of the defrost system.

Update 4/10/17

Defrost Thermostat

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/...

Defrost Heater Assembly WP12729127

Cause 2

Evaporator Fan Motor

The evaporator fan motor draws cold air over the evaporator coils and circulates it throughout the freezer. If the evaporator fan is not working, the freezer or refrigerator will not cool adequately. To determine if the evaporator fan motor is defective, try turning the fan blade by hand. If the fan blade does not turn freely, replace the fan motor. Additionally, if the motor is unusually noisy, replace it. Finally, if the motor does not run at all, use a multimeter to test the motor windings for continuity. If the windings do not have continuity, replace the evaporator fan motor..

Cause 3

Damper Control Assembly

The air damper control opens and closes to let the proper amount of cold air into the refrigerator compartment. If the damper does not open properly, it won’t let enough cold air into the refrigerator. Check the damper control to determine if it is broken or stuck closed.

Yes, the evaporator coil was frosted over.

Yes, the evaporator fan operated.

Yes, the damper control also operates.

I think I need to find out where the defrost heater is.

See the update

Frank Lesh will be eternally grateful.