The second generation of the Recreational Active Vehicle with 4-Wheel Drive, commonly known as the RAV4.

Rear door metal rubbing creates a squeaking noise when in motion

How can I definitely diagnose and resolve this kind of issue? Horizontally opening door.

draclif, I have read in a few forums it may be door seal/weather strip rubbing and making that sound, spray weather strip/seal with some silicone lubricant and also spray the rubber hatch stoppers. If rear window also opens separate from the hatch do it as well. Still getting a squeak, open hatch/window and put a very light coat of WD40 on the shafts of the lift struts and lube all hinges and latches.

Just a thought, if it has a rear tail gate hung spare tire, check that the tire is secure and also check hanger for worn/ loose hinge/latch/bushings, replace if worn parts are noted and lubricate generously. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

Thank you! I'll give that a try and let you know. This model RAV4 rear window is stationary so I'll go with the stripping and stoppers.

While you've probably solved your problem by now, it's worth noting that this can also be caused by another issue for those doors. The back hatches on the Rav4's have a latch that keeps the door shut and secured to the body of the car when it's closed and this latch can get a little loose and become misaligned over time. If it's not fixed, eventually you can end up with a door light on all the time, because the door won't properly latch.

You can fix it yourself and try to realign it, but it's usually easier to take it to an auto body place where they'll give the latch a few whacks with a hammer to get it back into place and tighten up the screws. I doubt they'll even charge you for it.

Hi all RAV4 owners with this problem.

This problem with RAV4 backdoor is always actual. Thanks for previous comments and advices.

I resolved problem on my RAV4 2005 with replacing original rubber bumper in upper corner of the door with bumper from old VW golf II which has spiral slot on side which goes on the door hole and with rotation of that bumper it is very easy make optimal position.

Sorry on my bad English but want to share this trick.

Regards from Bosnia!

draclif will be eternally grateful.