Repair guides and support for desktop PCs manufactured by Lenovo.

Will not turn on

Will not turn on when button is pushed

What is the model number of the desktop?

Try disconnecting everything from the motherboard except the PSU, the RAM and the video card (if not using onboard video), i.e. HDD, ODD, any other cards etc. and see if it starts and if you can get into BIOS.

If the PC still doesn't start, try the paper clip test to see if the PSU starts OK. Here is a link that shows how to do it. If the PSU doesn't start using the test method it is faulty and needs to be replaced.

If the PSU does start OK, then use a DMM's (Digital Multimeter) Voltmeter function to measure the output voltages from the PSU. Also check with the DMM's Ohmmeter function the the desktop's Power button has continuity when operated.

If all the tests prove OK then there is a problem with the motherboard.

Try this first . Unplug the computer then hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release and wait another 30 seconds then hold the power button again for 60 seconds .Now plug in the computer and try to start it . If you have no joy then you need to replace your power supply .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_NYl4D...

Hope this helps

Replace the PSU? That's a rather hasty move. It could that the GPIO power button has broken, or many other things.

good point @pccheese I usually throw a power supply in to test on machines I recieve. I always start with a static discharge though but like you suggest it could be a power button . but to be completely honest with you in the 20 some years Ive worked on computers Ive never seen one go bad , not to say it doesnt happen

by the way @pccheese I am very inpressed with how you stuck with the computer build for Sud Tiwari if I could have given more than one vote I would have

Thanks jimfixer!

I didn't mean just the power button, I ment that the power cable may be bad or the motherboard power pins may be loose or something etc.

George Joyner will be eternally grateful.