dropped phone screen black can I fix it?

My son passed away. All of his pictures are text messages are on there and we desperately need to save them. My husband's phone dropped, the screen is black but the phone still works. We just cant read the messages because the screen is black.

Is there any way to fix the screen? Verizon said that they cant transfer the information to a new phone because the screen needs to work. Or is there a way to download the information to my computer from the phone?

@jpboyle ,Paula, May be try a couple good local cell/computer repair shops and have them take a look at the phone tell them the issue and have them give an estimate to replace screen and have phone up and running so you can hook to computer and down load what you like. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

Paula Boyle will be eternally grateful.