The 2016 version of the Samsung Galaxy A3 budget smartphone (model number: A310F).

21 Questions View all

Worried about neodymium magnets danger

Not only for this device, but all smartphones, tablets, laptops in general: how dangerous or harmful can a neodymium magnet be for these devices by simple exposition? I.e., direct contact or too close to each other for some couple of seconds.

I ask because I have them in bedroom, generally in different boxes but never knowing when I accidentally put them together since I suffer of impulsive nervousness.

If harmful, how can damage be fixed?

Thanks beforehand.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0

Comments:

Thanks everyone.

The fact that they can blow up rotating -magnetic- hard disks actually makes sense, but in summary, neodymium magnets are really not that harmful to digital circuit stuff such as those of PCs/mobile devices, flash memories and SSD hard disks? Am I pretty safe in this regard?

@DrGlowire:

Thanks as well, but for some reason damage to human integrity has never been a worry for me (never ever hurt myself with magnets until now).

by

Add a comment

4 Answers

Chosen Solution

Doesn't anybody look things up anymore? Here's what an expert says:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-...

Do we need to worry about magnets?

“At home you will be surrounded by magnets – they are in every computer, speaker, TV, motor, smartphone, to name just a few applications,” says Matt, “Modern life would simply not be possible without them.”

It seems that magnets have unfairly gotten a bad press, but it’s still important to exercise caution when wielding the strongest magnets.

“Strong neodymium magnets aren’t toys,” explains Michael, “You may have read in the news about how recently, some magnet toys were getting swallowed by very young kids. This is a very, very serious health risk, since multiple magnets can attract to one another through intestinal walls. We’re talking peritonitis, which means immediate surgery is required to remove them.”

Was this answer helpful?

Score 5

Comments:

"Doesn't anybody look things up anymore?"

Yes, one does search first, but there are so many websites out there and NO way to know which ones are more or less reliable, specially if no https.

Regarding the article, it doesn't mention whether those compass and magnetized iron parts effects are permanent or just temporal!

by

Hey @mayer, that's what we pay you the big bucks for ;>).

by

@refectio Guess i shouldn't complain, they did give me a 100% raise last year, I think ;-)

by

@mayer I think it's more like infinity...you know, that whole divide by zero thing.

by

Add a comment

Unless they are giant, I don't think they will do anything unless you are playing music thru the loudspeaker.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 3

Comments:

Two unlesses? That's an oxymoron.

BTW, I updated our team page.

by

Add a comment

No, neodymium magnets will not affect anything that doesn't use magnetic storage. Keep them away from hard drives, as it will corrupt the data. Also, do NOT get pinched by one. Phones, tablets, are okay but any laptop with a HDD will not be good. I'm warning you, our family business deals with these magnets and you do not want to be pinched!

Was this answer helpful?

Score 3

Comments:

Are you speaking from experience here @pccheese ?

by

@jimfixer,

What do you mean? Yes, I have been pinched by them before, but no I have not experienced electronics problems with them.

by

I did mean pinched

by

Add a comment

Neodymium magnets are very strong magnets and they are safe to handle. The one area where these magnets are not safe is if you swallow them, the removal requires surgery in most cases. Keep these magnets away from young children and pets. You can stack the magnets together safely, it just makes it hard to pull one magnet off the stack. Also, keep these magnets away from magnetic strips on credit cards, cassette tapes, computer floppies and similar recorded items because the magnet will erase the data.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

Not true! Neodymium magnets are incredibly powerful, and when in close proximity can be dangerous. If two large magnets where to pinch your limbs, it could be very painful. Or just two small ones pinching your skin.

by

My point is that the magnets are chemically safe, they are not radioactive and the amount of magnetism is not enough to damage tissues. I have had some neodymium magnets pinch me, it was not that painful. The most dangerous place for neodymium magnets is inside the body where the magnets can attract each other through the intestines and not pass through, this is where surgery is needed to remove them.

by

I tried to pinch myself with two nickel sized neodymium magnets and was not able to pinch myself with the magnets. They were strong enough to attract each other through my hand but no discomfort.

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

No Thanks will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 1

Past 7 Days: 1

Past 30 Days: 5

All Time: 89