Model A1502 / 2.6 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) or 2.8 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz) dual-core Intel Core i7 processor with 4MB shared L3 cache.

Won't turn on but battery charged.

Macbook pro 13" mid 2014 won't turn on but the battery indicator light on Magsafe shows orange. So I let it charge all night and now it shows green. Does that mean the logic board is still working? If so what would be the issue?

More over, when I press Shift, Control, Option and power button while charging, Magsafe turns green for 2 seconds and turn amber again. Which usually means the reset works. So the power button seems to work as well.

Any idea how to fix it? Won't turn on, no startup chime, and no light at all.

Did you find the solution for this?

I have the same problem but I didn't spill liquid on it. I was just using and left it for awhile. When I came back, it was turned off and I cannot turn it back on but it's charging.

Cassandra - in your case, check the monitor cable. I had another one that had the same issue. Try plugging it into external monitor using HDMI cable. And can you hear power on chime at the beginning. If that is the case that's definitely the LCD cable. there are numbers of videos that shows how to replace it on youtube. Hope that's help. And as for my issue. I still have the laptop thinking of selling it AS IS.

Mine did this recently after spending some time in the tropics. Shift, Control, Option and power button worked fine but it would not power on whatever i tried. Then I left it sitting for a week or so, opened the lid, pushed the power button and was greeted by the start up chime.... Not very confidence inspireing.

Most Helpful Answer

There are 5 different power states of a MacBook Pro, and different circuits on the motherboard are responsible for these different circuits. The battery definitely seems to be charging (since the light changes colour), and the SMC and associated circuits seem to be functional since the SMC reset is working. So, the G3H and S5 circuit which are the "shut down" states work fine. That means that there is most likely an issue with an S3 (sleep) of S0 (full on) circuit of the motherboard. Have you spilled liquid on your computer? If so, remove the logic board and clean with 99% isopropanol.

The power button is not the issue here as this logic board turns on when the charger is connected automatically when the board is working properly, so no need to use the power-on or jump start pads. A bad battery will never be the the cause of a board not booting. I don't know what Shawn is talking about - there are definitely no "pressure sensors" on the board that requires the bottom case to be seated for the board to turn on. The board should turn on even if it's out of the laptop with nothing but the charger connected.

Sorry for the late reply. I'll be sure to try that. Yeah laptop has liquid damage. And I'll be sure to post the result later on. Thanks.

OK I did what you told me and still nothing. Even cleaned the I/O board coz i saw water residue on it as well. But still nothing. Any idea?

Unfortunately you will need logic board repair if this is the case. The liquid that you spilled on it had corroded or damaged the motherboard to the point that it needs to be replaced.

@sololay have you tried plugging the charger in with everything disconnected except the charger port and fan? If you have, and it doesn't boot once the charger is plugged in, it will definitely be an issue with the logic board. You can either replace it, repair it (if you have experience and tools to do this) or send it somewhere to repair/replace it.

Also Sam, the board will only turn on when the charger is plugged in, if the battery is either disconnected or has just been reconnected. It will not turn itself on if the battery has been left connected after 1 boot. Also, a bad battery can definitely prevent it from booting, so always disconnect it when troubleshooting. It can also trigger a battery sensor on the board which will stop it booting at all, or will cause it to turn off when it boots. Something to keep in mind for future :)

This can be a few different things. Power button is bad or its possible that you have a bad motherboard.

When did this happen? Have you ever had any other issues with this laptop?

Try removing the battery and powering it on to see if it will come on. Sometimes when a battery is faulty it will cause the laptop not to come on.

I just did and still wouldn't turn on. Do you know where is the jump start pad on this laptop model?

Remove the back plate and verify that all springs or pressure sensors are not damaged. If the back plate doesn't fully engage all the sensors that will also cause the issue

SoloLay will be eternally grateful.