Turn camera off and on error!

Everytime I turn my camera on it says turn camera off and on. I did it so many times I called them and they sid its cause of the batteries and memory card , I replaced both more than six times.What do I do?HELPPPPPPP!!!

Remove Lens Cap before pushing power on button. If you don't have a lens cap but still get this message your lens may be stuck. Gently rap your camera on the table twice to see if it frees up the lens.

Most of these point and shoot cameras the lens has to extend when turned on. If the lens cap is in place or lens slightly out of alignment due to a drop or bump the camera will sense it is jammed and not try to force it. Hope this works.

Mr bill brown THANk YOU. What seemed so easy after I read your answer wasn't so prior to. Yes!!! my camera is back in action. I've never used it, I got it for Christmas 2016 and each time I would turn it on I get the message " turn camera off and back on again" after doing that a million & one times, no change. But thank you for solving my problem. Praying Gods best to you and yours always.

Hi- I just got my camera today and had this problem. I expected to have to search for an answer for hours or spend hours on the phone with Nikon. I entered Trouble shooting and up came your answer. Thank you!

the primary error is that the lens has to be extended in order to turn on the camera. what a frustrating design error. why would you need to expose your lens to dust in order to playback images?

No luck when I rap the camera on the table. Any other suggestions?

Most Helpful Answer

Juss CallMeBaay , From the manual. Make sure that the lens cap has been removed, then turn the camera on again. If the error persists even after the camera is turned off and then on again, contact retailer or Nikon- authorized service representative. If under warranty return for repair/replacement/refund.

Ensure you have good fully charged batteries in camera. I believe your lens may be sticking, tap it on hard surface a couple times while powering on, if it works clean the lens barrel of any dust/lint/etc. with a clean dust free cloth. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

Just remove the lens cap before you push the "On" button. The message should say "remove the lens cap" instead of "turn the camera off then on"!!!!

I had that problem. It was because I had the lens cover on.

Here's another tip: The Nikon CoolPix B500 uses individual batteries, not a rechargeable pack provided by Nikon or camera stores. Make sure that the batteries you put in are:

1) the right type (AA, D, etc)

2) placed in the slots properly (+ side of battery slot matches + side of battery)

3) fully charged

I had the same issue two times, both times, the batteries stopped working.

Another thing is that the Nikon Coolpix B500 is not a extreme temperature camera. Taking pictures in freezing or very hot temperatures can cause the camera to slow down or shut down.

I noticed that the lens was trying to extend, but was hitting on something. A little closer look and I found tht the Ring around the lens, the one that says "Nikkor 40x optical zoom" was warped. I took it off and the caer works fine.

Nikon coolpix B500 wouldn't turn on changed batteries still the same when I press on button it goes green then nothin pressed on after 30 minutes just came on 2 minutes later just turned off can anyone help

It's because you have not removed the camera lens cover. Remove that, then turn camera back on and it will work. Was having the same problem until I figured this out.

I just got my camera. It was working fine and now it won’t turn on or charge and I have changed EVERYTHING batteries and memory card!!! CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

I fixed my camera by slightly taking but THEN HOLD DOWN ON/OFF BUTTON WHILE TAPPING ON THE ZOOM BUTTON ON SIDE OF CAMERA WHERE THE T AND W BUTTON IS LOCATED MULTIPLE TIMES WHILE HOLD DOWN ON OFF BUTTON. IT FIXED MY CAMERA

So mine does that but only when there is something blocking it from letting the lens out check that or the camera thinks something is blocking it which you would need to go to store and fix

Hi my canera works perfect when turned on but when i turn it off it turns itself back on and then you cant turn it off unless you remove the batteries . Its a brand new camera and the new batteries fully charged.

I would like to ask one thing i just got my b500 today , the navigation key with the symbol of a dustbin to delete the images is pushed in , the other keys are out , is it normal ? Or did i mess it up , the key functions okay ?

I mess up the key

Easy when you know what you are looking for. Obviously my camera has been dropped. The lens ring was out of whack, not circular, more oval. I tapped it into a more round shape and the lens was able to clear the cover and extend. So grateful for the advice.

It worked! Thanks

Juss CallMeBaay will be eternally grateful.