Battery odour, Headaches and polish smell ... Why?

Hello

I repair a lot of iPhones , ipads and more devices every month, but sometimes when i have to change a battery there's a sort of smell like polish remover coming from the battery .

The odour is not very annoying but when i sniff/breathe this odourI feel a few headaches during 1 hour or less.

This odour can also be breathed sometimes on new batteries (Which are defective) or used batteries and sometimes also when taking off the batteries when it is broken

What this smell is composed of ? Is it dangerous when you change batteries quite regularly ??

I'm a little worried about my health

Thanks a lot

Good ventilation is important for your repair bench. You may want to consider on of these. Not cheap but certainly worth it for your health.

This is an interesting resource for batteries:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...

Thanks for your answer Minho but there's not information about the nailpolish odour and toxicity on your links ?! :(

You should comment on the specific answer, otherwise I don't get notified. I just noticed it by chance.

No but there is a ton of info on Li-ion batteries at that site. I though it would be interesting.

Here, try this (remember, Google is your friend):

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg4/cg432/docs/ms...

You would have to be encountering an extreme number of devices with exploded batteries to have anything to worry about. The fact that you are saying you notice this on new batteries, yet no one else does, leads me to believe that this is an issue that you are creating on your own.

Buy a good fume extractor. If you are worried about your health, you should already have a fume extractor and good ventilation. No one here is going to be able to describe the nail polish remover because even though we have changed hundreds or thousands of bad batteries, we haven't encountered that on a large enough scale to be able to comment intelligently.

Buy a good fume extractor and don't put your face directly in the path of toxic fumes.

Martin will be eternally grateful.