13" aluminum unibody, 2.0 or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

No Power after upper case repair

I had spilled some liquid on a A1278 unibody MacBook 13". Immediatly shut off power and let it dry 2 days.

It did work fine but the keys on the keyboard got very sticky and it did not get better using them a lot. So I decided to clean the key board, but after taking it almost wholly apart, decided against that avenue and ordered a new upper case from ifixit.

So today I tried to exchange the upper case. It should be noted that I have the german version and of course I got an US upper case as spare part. After again taking it apart and putting everything in the new upper case, the thing won't start.

Battery is almost fully charged. MagSafe Adapter LED is green without battery inserted and orange once battery is put inside.

I tried the resetting thingy with 5s Power Press without any power attached (incl. battery taken out) and also the immediate PR-whatever reset with alt-cmd-p-r. To no avail - it won't start, just charge the battery.

Could it be that the US upper case won't work with the german logic board?

More likely there's corrosion Depending upon the liquid, if not cleaned, the type & amount of time before corrosion takes place can be different. With a Mac if it fits, it works is the general rule. If the topcase were that different the connectors would be too.

Well it works in the top case that had the liquid spill (only the keys are sticky), but not in the new one.

Can you test the battery in another computer?

battery, power supply - everything works with the top case that I want to replace (it is just a pain in the $&^ to use a sticky keyboard).

However browsing through a lot of posts here I will try to replace the keyboard only and not the whole upper case.

The most likely culprit is the flatband cable connecting the keyboard/powerswitch assembly to the logic board. It's rather tricky to connect it correctly. I had lot's of fun with those.

The broad cable just above the battery? Or do I have to do something with the thin cable at the bower switch below the subwoffer assembly/cable?

As I stated - the cable by the battery that connects to the LB. There is nothing you can do about the thin cable at the powerswitch itself, it's an integral part of the keyboard assy.

Yes that was it, played around with it and it started to work. Thanks a lot.

Most Helpful Answer

Yes you can. You can even exchange individual keys to restore the german layout.

I went ahead and tried it out. My MBP is running perfectly again now.

This answer was originally to another question.

I just described what I did: No Power after upper case repair

I couldn't start my unibody MacBook with the US upper case.

Please don't ask duplicate questions. Only Answers belong here - this could have been a comment or update to your original Question.

comps will be eternally grateful.