What's the use of the foam / cushion / sticky pads on flex cables?

I keep damaging the foams you find on flex cables. I was wondering what their use is. Simple question but it's a question that keeps coming up in my head hehe :)

Thanks all !

I also asked a seller on eBay, and he basically says the same as you guys.

Again.. Huge thanks :)

I agree with Ben's comment. I also believe they help keep the connectors tightly in place when the metal shield for the display is screwed back in place. This could help the connectors from loosening if dropped and so on.

If you are trying to reuse them but can't seem to remove them you can also buy them in bulk. That may be a good option if you do a lot of iPhone screen replacements. I use a razor and slowly loosen one end. I try to find a corner that has a bit of metal exposed and push the razor under the pad and slowly loosen the adhesive then you can slowly pull it off and reuse it. I have seen them for sale on sites like eBay if you prefer to buy them. Here is a link to some on eBay: http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=iPhone...

To maintain positive pressure on the connectors so they don't pop off.

Some phones even came with some cushions missing and they work fine.

To avoid people cutting themselves with the metal part of the flex cables or allows them to be evenly pushed down when a metal plate cover is on top.

Didier Daniel will be eternally grateful.