Why my camcorder keeps displaying "Overheated. Can not access media .

I have a Sony HDR-XR550V. The 240GB original hard drive had buffer overflow issue. So I decide to replace it with a Toshiba 80GB MK8025GAL.

Whenever I just power the camcorder on (even after days of not using), it displays message "Overheated, can not access media ... keep it in cool place ....." then it goes to normal screen and let me record for few minutes then it display message "buffer overflow" then a message "retrieving data" then it stuck until either the battery ran out of juice or I take the battery out!!!

And another problem, since the map area date is in original hard drive that was thrown away, is there anyway I can restore that map to the new hard drive!!!

Ngon Tran is that the same message you got with the old hard drive?

Ngon Tran it does sound like your HDD is the cause for this. I would suggest that you download the service manual from here. Then consider replacing the drive with one for the camera (MK2431GAH)

Ngon Tran will be eternally grateful.