Bringing a moldy computer back from the dead
I left my computer in storage for a few months and while I was gone the dry bag it was in developed mold. When I returned it powered on fine (it had been sitting in a drier environment for a month beforehand, as to not fry it), but acted as though a bunch of keys were stuck. Eventually the power button itself stopped working.
I took off the topcase and lo and behold the insides were pretty dirty and corroded. I plugged it in and "jumped" the logic board, and it boots up fine. (There are two solder points with PWR BTN written by it)
The question is how can I best clean it all up. Since the problem lies in the top case are there points there that I should clean? It also seems for the computer's health that it would be good to clean all the gunk out of the bottom, but I'm worried about doing more harm than good, so I'm looking for advice about how to do that safely. What kind of cleaner should I use? Alcohol?
I was reading that it's fairly common for the connection between the top case and logic board to be severed, so I'll probably try putting it all back together and see if that solves anything. (I can't figure out how to turn it off so I'm waiting for the battery to die.) A connection problem seems unlikely though, because it was all sort of working before.
Thanks for the help!
Is this a good question?