iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Power and Lock Button Stuck, Requires Heavy Pressure

This is a first run iPhone 4 in perfect condition.

Last night, the power and luck button became extremely difficult to push. I assume there is debris or the button itself no longer presses (this is an issue I've noticed with Mid-2009/2010 MacBook trackpads as well.)

I do not know whether or not there is a physical button that is being pressed, part IF182-004-1 shows a button with a level that I assume is actually pressing a real button.

I have removed the back of my iPhone but I'd like some more information before I remove the logic board and void the warranty. The take apart guides don't have any information about this button.

Most Helpful Answer

My lock button randomly stuck on my phone as well. I haven't "fixed" it, but there is a way around using it. If you go to general settings, an then accessibility, there is a feature called "assistive touch". Turn it on, and you can lock your screen from there. Hope this is helpful.

What if the lock bottom still works but needs a big amount of pressure is there away to get it unjammed for say

by thomas blowers

There are two problems with these button types;

The first is that they seem to attract moisture which can break the connection, this is why the home button on the iPhone 4 can slowly get less responsive over time. Check out this guide to help you diagnose any moisture damage inside the device. Also, to access the home button, check out this home button installation guide.

The second is that Apple chose to give the foil part of the button a little nipple like bit which raises it by less than a mm and this sometimes goes wondering around and this makes the external button sit that bit lower and not fully work. The fix for this is to put a tiny 1x1mm bit of 3M tape on the centre of the button and it should work. If this option doesn't release the button then the disk has probably gone flat and you will need a new home button.

Mentioned Items

iPhone Image

Guide

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

by pollytintop Difficulty: Difficultone or two hours

Well,

You can always turn the phone on with the "home" botton and then program the Auto Lock to time out the phone after one minute on non use to power off

That is what is called "Problem solved" 'Merica way

Cheap, easy

Scooter

I had this happen to me last night. (Saturday) I have one of those otter box cases and the button still got stuck somehow. I believe apple has to replace it unless it's been dropped. I'm going today after work so I'll let you know.

they replaced mine twice. very easy about 20 min. you have to make sure that you water indicators arent triggered though

by Yafet Ghirmai

I had an Otter box case on my iPhone 4 when the lock button jammed too! I have not been able to go to an Apple store yet...

by Caitlin

mine did this too but back glass is cracked and apparently i have water damage in the docking area, so they wanted to charge me $199 for a new phone :/ i hate apple.

mines very tight and I don't want to get it fixed by the apple store, is there anything I can do myself?

mine is stuck too. A warning-if you ever need to replace the front glass on your phone and do so yourself, not only does it void your warranty, but apple will refuse to service your phone, even if you offer to pay them. They should change their sticker to say "you will need to buy a new phone if you tamper with this device and it breaks", not "warranty void". I hate apple. p.s. the sleep button isn't part of the screen replacement so I know I didn't do anything to damage it. Apple just wants to sell me a new phone. They can (you know what).

if im not under warranty anymore but my lock button is jammed is there anything apple can do about it or should i just try one of those random cellular phone fix places?

i have the solution ..... first open your iphone4, tail lamp cover removed ... uses a very fine tip screwdriver ubicated after the button below and above the power switch, position the screwdriver and gently press down a little ... Now blow with your mouth or a can of compressed air .... Test your button and go .. apparently it is dust that accumulates between the switch and the button

i have this same issue where the button is stuck. i am also not under warranty. i actually took apart the phone, cleaned the button, the casing. made sure no corrosion on the contacts or even damage to the strip. still stuck. The button has a small bar attached to it. that could be the cause or maybe the plastic power contact/strip that is under the button is warped and it cant make contact. if anyone knows for sure what is going on please let me know.

F uck apple nigga.

I had the same problem, phone still works. Took the phone to apple they said could not be fixed but they could give me a new phone for 119 pounds........ At first did not want to do it, once I got home I thought my phone is 2 years old, battery would need changing soon, so 119 for brand new phone is a good deal as I can sell it on ebay as brand new :) use the money to get Iphone 4s (free on my contract) and pocket the money :)

Thanks Apple

So your phone wasn't covered under warranty and Apple still gave you a new phone??

i had the same problem and I was to lazy to replace button so I put a pice of foil in between the button and the nipple and it seems to be working fine , you might need a pair of fine point tweezers

THis goes to show you how much apple really doesn't care about it's customers. Countless people have this problem yet when the next phone comes out you'll all stand in line to purchase it.

hi! what you need to do is take the phone apart, then take power button out and replace the proximity sensor, and clean around the power button, then when putting the new sensor ribbon in make sure the nipple is directly in the center of the plastic mount

iFound this very useful http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-... if you show this webpage to the seller you brought it from they will literally poo there pants and give you a replacement straight away. I called Three who were adement there is no EU law that gives you more than a year, i told them to look at this webpage and they straight away told me they will send a replacement 4S 64gb but white(mine was black) in post within 2 days.

fault: My power button was jammed..

go in to settings and then general settings then accessibility,scroll down to assistive touch and switch on ,you will have settings in your screen now

this is a temporary fix but it has been working for me if u have on your ear pods a volume button and play and pause button. hold the pause in and voice control will pop up just use assistive touch to exit. Use the assistive touch touch button to lock it and use the home button.

For Press Clipping services visit http://www.isolvetechnologies.net/print-...

when it comes to [URL|data mining & extractionhttp://www.isolvetechnologies.net/web-cr..., Web Crawlers plays an important role. It’s the age of internet where loads of information exists in form of web pages across huge number of websites. It has become necessary for many companies to do data mining & scraping on regular basis which help them in taking business decision. This is where the need for automated crawlers raised to handle the difficult & complicated task. Understanding this iSolve has built an advanced crawler which can handle complicated Data Crawling task effectively. We offer customized web crawlers depending up on the customer’s needs which in turn helps them to have a strong Web Data Extraction system in place.

I want to thank Terry and Lenny - I am an old lady that lives alone. My lock button was stuck so I could not use my phone. I love technology, although some days it does not want to talk to me at all. It would have taken me about 45 minutes to walk to office to call apple store to get help

I prayed and told God, He was going to have to fix my phone. Well while watching my Korean drama, and during the commercial, I found my self trying to find out how to change the battery, I found fix it.com.

I then hunted around the questions and lo behold I just went to the bottom of the page and both of your instructions were there and THEY WORKED. I will pray before I go to sleep I will ask Jesus to bless both of you.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

embracecoach1958@gmail.com

gmngnf

g

g

tgtg

rtgt

rgtg

g

g

trg

rtg

rtg

r

g

tr

gtr

g

g

r

gr

g

rg

r

g

rtgt

rg

trg

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

g

tg

t

gt

rg

trg

t

gt

g

t

gtr

trt

r

tr

rr

t

rtrtrtrtrtrtr

tr

r

g

g

g

g

g

b

b

,

,,

,,

,

,

,

.

.kk

hgf

b

g

fvc

hgtr

gf

fg

fg

f

gfgf

gf

gf

gf

gf

g

f

gf

gf

gf

gd

gggf

gf

gfdfd

d

d

f

df

d

fd

f

df

Score -1

James Monroe will be eternally grateful.