Announced in March 2015 and released April 10, 2015, the Galaxy S6 Edge is the curved-screen version of Samsung's newest flagship smartphone.

What layers does the S6/S7 edge display have?

Someone asked me to replace the glass on his S6 edge. Not having done this before, I watched some videos on how it's done. Some show the glass coming off with a film below it, others show the glass coming off without the film.

I started removing the shards from the top and with them the film. Before continuing, I want to know: Does that film matter?

Ciprian R , I believe the film you are talking about is the adhesive, it is like very thin 2 sided tape and must be removed from the display before you install the new glass/digitizer. I think what you see in the video's is sometimes the adhesive sticks to the digitizer glass, sometimes to the lcd and sometimes on both. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

I've seen people replace the glass without removing this film. They removed only the shards.

Are you meaning the clear "film" that is sometimes still left when removing the glass? If so, the film is usually removed with the screen if it was heated and pried of correctly but if the film decides to stay on the screen then you can usually pull it off with a little elbow grease. The film is just a bottom layer for the screen that can be sometimes tedious to get off but is replaced when you put the new glass on. The film really doesn't matter in any case but removing it would be more professional and the glass may have an easier time staying on the phone with this layer removed.

Ciprian R will be eternally grateful.