heating coil inbottom of tub burnt in half

the Black ring heating coil on the bottom of the dishwasher tub(circular heating element) actually burnt in one spot and it burnt in half. I replaced the heating element with a new one around 30 dollars but the dishwasher will not heat the water or dry dishes after replacing it. I feel something else caused the element to actually burn in two but im not dure of what it is. there is a high limit thermostat that can be replaced but I dont know if that will correct it. Also after replacing the heating element,do you have to reset the controls in any way? thanks Tom

thank you two folks for your reply. I will check out that thermostat and see if thats the problem.I thought it might have been that ,so I ordered one on line ,expect it here in a few days. thank you both for taking the time to reply to my question. When yhe thermostat comes and I replace it I will let you know if it was the problem, thanks, Tom

If the heating element was burnt in half, to me this indicates excessive current or a connection between the element and earth. Either way it may be that the control board or as you say the high limit temperature thermostat has been affected as they control the power to the element.

You could try testing the thermostat for continuity using an Ohmmeter to see if it still OK. I am assuming that there is continuity at normal operating temperatures and only operates to disconnect the power to the element if the temperature is too high.

Here is a link to a video, (scroll down the page a bit) which shows how to replace the thermostat. It is handy as it will enable you to test the thermostat out of circuit to see if it is OK.

If it is OK you may have to chase the problem further back into the control board/panel.

Hopefully this is of some help

@tag46 no reset after you replace the heating element. Since it is now not heating at all I would suggest that you check the thermal fuse. Once it blows it will not reset which would your prevent your heating element from coming on. Yes, the high limit thermostat could have been the issue with the coil getting hot enough to break. You can check those or replace it to be on the safe side.

tommy gee will be eternally grateful.