The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

Keyboard and trackpad are unreponsive?

For some reason my macbook keyboard and trackpad are completely non-responsive. I know for a fact that the keyboard and trackpad are not the problem.

Here are some other things I have tried:

1) External keyboard and mouse work perfectly fine. I can log into OS X and everything functions normally with an external keyboard and mouse.

2) I performed an SMC reset using the built in keyboard. As I said, I know the keyboard is good.

3) I can not reset the PRAM using the built in keyboard. I can reset the PRAM with the external keyboard.

4) I have tried to leave the Macbook working till the battery dies then leave it for one night without charging and afterwards restarting it with power supply plugged in and they worked but afterwards they in s random startup they return unresponsive (I have tried this for two times and worked and I trying my third time now)

Please don't fixate on replacing the keyboard and trackpad.

The keyboard works before the chime (SMC reset) and does not work after the chime (can not reset PRAM). It seems like the logic board is turning off the keyboard when it chimes. Not sure what could cause this. Does anyone have any ideas?

I had the same problem and solved it by simply holding down the power button till the computer switched off, then turning it on again so it went into recovery mode and voila it just worked!

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Replace the trackpad cable. This commonly goes bad on 2015 13" models, and causes intermittent problems with both the keyboard and trackpad (trackpad needs to be recognised in order for the keyboard to work on this model).

Part is £10 and takes 5 minutes to replace

Thanks a lot I will try this but chow can I prevent this from happening one more time or what is the cause of the problem in the cable

@afalah I believe it is caused by the way the cable is being bent where it is plugged into the trackpad (you will see when opening, it bends back on itself), similar to 13" 2009-2012 hard drive cable issues. They do this since the cable is otherwise too long to fit along the top of the battery nicely.

Not entirely sure though, this issue is very common but not spoken about often, since it causes issues with both the trackpad and keyboard, so people assume it is caused by liquid damage, when it isn't.

Hello from Yangon, Myanmar. I have got same issue. How can I deliver my laptop to fix.

You will have to find someone who can fix this in your area. It is a very easy repair, you just remove the bottom 10 screws, disconnect the battery, unscrew the 2 T5 screws for the trackpad cable shield, then remove the trackpad cable.

I have the problem with Trackpad and Keyboard not working on a customer's a1502.. Before I go replacing any ribbon cable(s) for a Trackpad or otherwise, can ANYONE answer this..?

Why do both Keyboard and Trackpad work flawlessly outside of Sierra.? Pick ANY Linux distribution - I have 5-7 variants - and boot up to find KB and Trackpad ALWAYS working, ALL the time, without stopping or failing to work.. Thx

This should be a software issue then, I feel. I don't have any Linux distros installed otherwise would have tried this.

Hi Ruben, I am having exactly the same issue as you. I have a MacBook Pro 2015 on High Sierra. When I boot with Ubuntu trackpad and keyboard works perfectly. When I reboot with High Sierra both the keyboard and trackpad not responding.

I start to believe that the problem is with the ribbon like Axel is suggesting, however the fact that the keyboard and trackpad is working with Ubuntu is confusing me a little.

I had the same problem. It started when I forgot my charger at home and borrowed a MacBook Air charger. A day later the keyboard and trackpad had stopped working. I used an external keyboard and mouse until I have drained the battery. I opened the computer and tried clicking the trackpad cable in place. A day later I got back my charger and the the keyboard and trackpad worked like a charm again.

So I do not know it the problem was me charging the computer with the wrong cable or if the cable had been misplaced or a combination of the both.

EDIT: Since I wrote this post the keyboard and trackpad have stopped working a few more times. But now I have found the solution to my problem. I am pretty sure it is the trackpad connector that there is something wrong with. Disconnecting and reconnection the connector (see step 17 in this guide: MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Early 2015 Trackpad Replacement) have fixed the problem. I have also bought a new cable and will install that in my computer when it arrives.

Ammar Falah will be eternally grateful.