Model A1369, 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8 GHz Processor, 64, 128 or 256GB Flash Storage

What to be careful of when replacing backlight fuse?

Hi there,

I blew my laptop's backlight fuse.

I saw some videos online that explain how to replace it, removing it with a soldering iron, and soldering a new one back on. However, these videos don't mention what are the risks and what one should be careful of when doing that.

What are the risks ? What should one pay special attention to ?

Thanks in advance for your help

before i replace the fuse i have to find the short right? my fuse just blows if i turn my macbook on, so do i replace it and check for the short or can i check voltage and shorts without it?

If my lvds connector or the cable is shorted, should i be possible to find the short with a multimeter in diod mode?

i got a shematic

@mmmilo I would be very interested to hear how to test for this. I posted a question on apple.stackexchange.com here : http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions...

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Unplug the battery whilst doing this. When removed, check both pads for a short to ground, and make sure there is nothing on the board which could cause this (damaged LCD cable, burnt pins on LCD connector, liquid, etc). Not a lot that can go wrong to be honest.

Replacing the fuse is possible with a solder iron, but it does take longer and is more fiddly. If you have access to a hot air station, this is a lot easier.

Thanks a lot. So how do you test for a short to ground ? You mean between each of the fuse pads and the ground ?

Yes that's correct. Once the fuse is removed, check both solder pads. If there is no short, new fuse won't blow

@reecee thanks a lot. So how do I test for that short ? I just put each multimeter pins on one pad ?

With no power running through the board, one probe on ground and another on a pad in continuity mode. Then do the same to check the other pad. It will beep if there is a short to ground.

@reecee thanks ! I have tried doing that, but I don't know where I can find the ground : https://apple.stackexchange.com/question...

This video will give you an idea of the technique you should use to properly replace the fuse using hot air station.

@oldturkey03 Look at this! How'd he do that?

@triosimple How'd you do that? Post a video?

Are you asking how I made the video?

@mayer looks like we can now use embeded videos on Answers. Perfect! No more 10sec clips only:))

@triosimple thanks ! I forgot to precise in my question that all I have is a regular soldering iron. Any idea given this constraint ?

Over the counter irons can be more challenging but not impossible. I would purchase 5-6 fuses from mouser.com and try it till you get it right.

john dupont will be eternally grateful.