The Apple iPhone 5c was announced on September 10, 2013. Repair of this device is similar to the previous models, and requires screwdrivers and prying tools. Available as GSM or CDMA / 8, 16, 32 GB / White, Pink, Yellow, Blue, and Green.

Is isopropyl alcohol the same as Surgical Spirit or Rubbing Alcohol?

I am deciding to clean my iphone during the weekend due to water damage and how some parts may be damaged , since i dont have isopropyl alcohol i was wondering if surigical spirt or rubbing alcohol will do the same job?

Mary “Novalliez” Owen , I believe they may be the same, what you want when cleaning electronics is the high percentage 90% or more, because of the high evaporation rate that will not harm electronics like lower percentage 70% may. See the link below for more explanation. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_al...

What about Denatured alcohol? Specifically, the stuff you buy at Menards for thinning paint and stuff. I can't remember the brand but it comes in gallon metal containers in white with yellow ancients.

I am not an alcoholic, why you asking me!!! George Abraham!!! :-)))

Denatured alcohol I think, has additional chemicals added and isopropyl alcohol does not. May be best for you to read the link beblow for good comparrison.

http://sciencing.com/denatured-alcohol-v...

Ethanol is sometimes denatured (adulterated), and thus made undrinkable, by the addition of methanol.

Most Helpful Answer

Rubbing alcohol can be made from isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirits. I would not use rubbing alcohol because you can't be too sure of what is mixed in or even isopropyl found at regular stores due to the pureness of the alcohol. You should get 99% pure isopropyl alcohol to be safe when cleaning your logic board. You can find it at most electronics store, it's not expensive.

This is the best answer out of them all. Any non-pure isopropyl alcohol is bad for electronics.

Methanol is the pure stuff, no water. Methanol is the simplest alcohol, being only a methyl group linked to a hydroxyl group. It is a light, volatile, colorless, flammable liquid with a distinctive odor very similar to that of ethanol (drinking alcohol).[11] However, unlike ethanol, methanol is highly toxic and unfit for consumption. At room temperature, it is a polar liquid, and is used as an antifreeze, solvent, fuel, and as a denaturant for ethanol. It is also used for producing biodiesel via transesterification reaction.

Before you go splashing anything on the phone just make sure its "at least" 99% alcohol :) if you are using surgical spirit; i think its 99% but look around the bottle just to be sure. the reason behind this is that alcohol evaporates. do not splash anything on that is not 99% alcohol or you might have a sad phone ;)

Do not go to pharmacy, GO TO ELECTRONICS STORE AND ASK FOR CLEANING FLUID FOR ELECTRONIC DEVICES IT THE BEST THING TO DO!!

The type and quality of the alcohol is really the issue.

Rubbing alcohol is not very clean and often a mix of alcohols and can have other ingredients.

Isopropyl alcohol is a good safe alcohol for most plastics and you. How pure it is important as the residues in the alcohol can leave a film. I always use 85% or better (reagent quality).

Electronic solvents can have silicone oils in them which can attract dust. So its important you test it out (I don't use them if they have oil). These solvent sprays can be useful but they can be dangerous as they can be flammable as well as not healthy to breathe! Make sure you use them in a well ventilated space (outside being best) don't forget some of these solvents are on the short list of being harmful to the environment! Effecting the atmospheres ozone layer.

Isn’t Rubbing Alcohol used to treat infections?

Mary “Novalliez” Owen will be eternally grateful.