windows 10 on a Dell

If I purchased a Dell laptop with Windows 10 installed by Dell and for some reason I need to replace windows 10 would I be able to obtain a copy free from Dell to fix my problem? If not from Dell, could I obtain a copy free from Microsoft?

Very interesting, Melvin. I also have Windows 10 on a Dell. I tried to get there but could not reach it, I saw a few files with the name UEFI but I could not either open them or identify the Windoes 10 series. Would you mind guding us, please?

Most Helpful Answer

If the laptop is bought in the two last years then the key for Windows 10 is inside your bios/UEFI so it would activate the key automatically when you install Windows 10. You would only need a ISO file to install from that is installed on a USB stick.

Yes. You can grab the free download from Microsoft. Windows 10 doesn't use a key. Instead it uses a unique identifier in your motherboard for activation/reactivation.

The link to download it is here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software...

You will need a USB 8gb or larger or a blank DVD.

True about the motherboard, but windows 10 can use a key if you like.

The key is used once on the first activation. After that the user never needs the key again to clean reinstall. I do this all the time with custom computers I build.

Melvin Verly will be eternally grateful.