Sound up & down when recording video

I noticed that the sound volume of any recorded video in my iPhone 6s starts low and then increases/ decreases with no obvious reason.

The sound result is like switching microphones front/rear, however I am not an expert and this is just a wild guess to describe how it feels like.

When I play the video in my computer, the sound issue is still there, so it should be a microphone hardware or software issue?

I haven't exposed the phone in any humidity sources nor having dropped it.

For the record I have tried to tackle the above issue by:

- testing the iPhone's stock camera app vs. other video recording apps and the issue persists.

- restoring and set up as new

- resetting options etc

with no good results.

There are 3 microphones in the iPhone.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203792

• The bottom microphone is for Voice Memo and phone calls. The other microphones serve as error cancellation
  • The (top) front microphone is used for FaceTime calls, Siri and selfie videos with the front camera (FCAM). The top back microphone serves as error cancellation
  • The (top) back microphone is used for videos with the rear camera (RCAM). The top front microphone serves as error cancellation

Make sure you update your device to the latest version of iOS and then try to isolate which microphone is not working properly by trying each individual microphone with the related apps above. If the issue affects more than one microphone, then it could be the Audio Codec IC on the logic board.

Anything at the logic board level will require micro-soldering so you would need to find a repair shop that offers those services.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Could you please inform me if you know any app that tests the individual microphones?

I don't know of any diagnostic app (perhaps others can chime in), if that's what you mean. Just run the apps I highlighted above to test each microphone. Make recordings or calls to voicemail and play them back. Don't forget to test the headphone microphone also.

Tassos Roumpanis will be eternally grateful.