Model A1502 / 2.4, 2.6, or 2.8 GHz dual-core Intel processor / Released October 2013

No audio, and no "Internal Speakers" in SystemPrefs>Sound>Output

I am really stumped by this problem, and I'm really hoping you guys can help as I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue...

Basically, I get no audio from my MacBook Pro Retina 13" Late 2013 A1502 16Gb 2.6GHz - everything else works beautifully as ever with this machine (incl USB & power) apart from the sound.

It has *not* experienced any water damage or drops, but I'm pretty sure this problem started when I plugged in my external power speakers' amp to the headphone jack... just like I did everyday before that, but for some reason this time I didn't get any sound output and the volume feedback was delayed when I tried to turn the volume up/down.

Symptoms:

• Built-in speakers don't make any sounds.
  • No sound coming from output jack (headphones or external speakers).
  • I see the volume no-access icon (circle with diagonal line through it) when trying to change volume
  • checked System Preferences->Sound settings: nothing showing up under the Output or Input tabs (no "Internal Speakers" showing up)
  • NO RED LIGHT coming from headphone jack... so it's not the optical speaker switch problem most people seem to have.
  • In "system information", when I look in sound hardware... no description for input, output, etc...

I've hunted and hunted all over the internet trying all various suggestions that others have had success with - I've tried all of the following, but still no luck:

I've tried all of the following in the listed order but nothing's changed:

• repeatedly plugging & unplugging different types audio equipment to the headphones port (including apple headphones)
  • disk utility and run disk repair (no errors)
  • tried PRAM/NVRAM resets (I don't hear the "chime" sound)
  • tried logging in via a new user account
  • tried deleting ~/Library/Preferences:com.apple.systemsound.plist
  • plastic toothpick in the hole
  • looking in the hole with microscope & 1.8mm led to illuminate - can't see anything obstructions in the hole
  • I downloaded and booted the ASD software EFI and OS diagnostics - no errors
  • tried disconnecting battery then rebooting
  • an isopropyl alcohol swabbed q-tip cotton swab

I also went to see a Genius at the Apple Store - they did their tests and said "there's only two options:

• replace the logic board as we don't replace individual components, or
  • use a USB adapter"

The logic board repair quote was extremely expensive as my warranty is over and the charge probably includes replacing all 16Gb of memory too as it's soldered in; and I said I didn't think that last suggestion was very Apple-like - I'd need to carry around an ugly USB adapter and an external speaker/mic device just to hear sound!

So I'm at a loss and need your help!

Everything else works fine on my computer, so I'm willing to get my multimeter out and start testing hardware but I'm not sure where to start (I/O card / Logic board?).

My logic board # is 820-3476-A

We have encountered this issue 10 or 15 times and each required component level repair to resolve, the cause has been both spills and drops. Rebuilding this circuit is fairly straight forward if you have the proper tools. Give me the part number for the MLB and I will forward a pic of the schematic and the board view.

I found my logic board number under the right-speaker connector (which is under the connector for the I/O board): 820-3476-A

I managed to download the boardview and schematic for this logic board (and also the ones for 820-3536-A which is identical except for the memory layout).

Any suggestions which parts on the logic board I should start testing first? Headphone jack? I/O board? Cirrus audio chipset?

Search the schematic for audio, familiarize yourself with where the coronets are on the .brd. The start testing, the measurements that you should have will be relevant to what power rail the audio circuit is on.

Sent it in for repair but, after a few hours work, they still couldn't find which component was faulty.

Ended up getting the logicboard replaced

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like power has been sent through the port by the amp, damaging the audio circuit.

Check around the bottom right area of the logic board, to see if anything looks burnt. Beyond this, it would need logic board diagnostics and repair, so I would highly suggest sending it to a company who does this, otherwise you will most likely waste time and money on the tools required.

>Sounds like power has been sent through the port by the amp, damaging the audio circuit.

Possibly. If that's the case, is there anything that can be done in future to avoid this from happening?

I'll investigate for damaged components around the Headphones jack/Cirrus chip area (I'm assuming that's what you mean by bottom-right area).

@capler I would recommend against plugging in anything (speakers, external USB hub, etc) which draws power from the MacBook. I come across ones all the time where this causes a problem with the Mac, especially with powered USB hubs, since they do not usually have an inbuilt protection circuit, to prevent issues like this occurring.

Yes, that's the right area. The Cirrus chip is for the main audio functionality. Feel this area to see if the chip or anything else gets hot, indicating it is shorted to ground.

Cirrus chip is very hot when computer is running - to the point of coming close to burning my finger if I hold it on there for 5secs. Is that normal?

In fact, U6200 is even hotter - can't touch for a second without burning myself. I take it that's not normal!?

Both not normal, either the chip is internally shorted to ground or a component is shorted, then shorting a pin of the chip. Measure the continuity to ground of the pins of the chips, check on schematic whether the pins should be ground or not. Then remove the chip and check the pads to see if the short is gone. If it is, replace the chip and it should be resolved. If the short is not gone, systematically remove the components with a path to ground on the shorted line until you find the short

Put all of your information on a thumb drive and do a factory rest and then do a hard shut down and if not please Inform me.

I've already tried booting a different OS (ASD software OS diagnostics), and tried booting into safe mode, and tried creating a new user account -- none of which cause the sound to come back.

Oh - and there's no "chime" sound when I do a NVRAM / PRAM reset.

Thanks for the idea, but how is doing a factory reset going to help?

Sounds like you might have damaged the headphone connector. The mac detects if a plug is in the jack and disables the internal speakers if it thinks one is in there. I had a system where the tip of the headphone jack broke off in the connector. It took a bit of work to get the tip out.

It if that's the case then shouldn't I see "Headphones" listed in SystemPres>Sound>Output ? Nothing is listed under either Output or Input

Yes it would. If that were the problem it would think a headphone was plugged in and display that in the control panel. If it says internal speakers, that is not it. Hope you find the problem. Good Luck.

When I don't have headphones plugged in, my system says "Internal Speakers" under Output. As yours shows nothing, you have something more serious going on.

Did you ever solve this problem?

I have tried the exact same as you. No solution - no sound!

Cheers,

Cam

I'm facing the same issue and I feel helpless. The only answer I got fr the guys at the service centre was to change the motherboard. My laptop is just 15 months old and the cost of the motherboard is really expensive. Tried everything that's mentioned on the main post. Please help me.

SMC reset worked fine for me!

how do you reset the smc

Marc will be eternally grateful.