Model A1502 / 2.4, 2.6, or 2.8 GHz dual-core Intel processor / Released October 2013

No audio, and no "Internal Speakers" in SystemPrefs>Sound>Output

I am really stumped by this problem, and I'm really hoping you guys can help as I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue...

Basically, I get no audio from my MacBook Pro Retina 13" Late 2013 A1502 16Gb 2.6GHz - everything else works beautifully as ever with this machine (incl USB & power) apart from the sound.

It has *not* experienced any water damage or drops, but I'm pretty sure this problem started when I plugged in my external power speakers' amp to the headphone jack... just like I did everyday before that, but for some reason this time I didn't get any sound output and the volume feedback was delayed when I tried to turn the volume up/down.

Symptoms:

• Built-in speakers don't make any sounds.
  • No sound coming from output jack (headphones or external speakers).
  • I see the volume no-access icon (circle with diagonal line through it) when trying to change volume
  • checked System Preferences->Sound settings: nothing showing up under the Output or Input tabs (no "Internal Speakers" showing up)
  • NO RED LIGHT coming from headphone jack... so it's not the optical speaker switch problem most people seem to have.
  • In "system information", when I look in sound hardware... no description for input, output, etc...

I've hunted and hunted all over the internet trying all various suggestions that others have had success with - I've tried all of the following, but still no luck:

I've tried all of the following in the listed order but nothing's changed:

• repeatedly plugging & unplugging different types audio equipment to the headphones port (including apple headphones)
  • disk utility and run disk repair (no errors)
  • tried PRAM/NVRAM resets (I don't hear the "chime" sound)
  • tried logging in via a new user account
  • tried deleting ~/Library/Preferences:com.apple.systemsound.plist
  • plastic toothpick in the hole
  • looking in the hole with microscope & 1.8mm led to illuminate - can't see anything obstructions in the hole
  • I downloaded and booted the ASD software EFI and OS diagnostics - no errors
  • tried disconnecting battery then rebooting
  • an isopropyl alcohol swabbed q-tip cotton swab

I also went to see a Genius at the Apple Store - they did their tests and said "there's only two options:

• replace the logic board as we don't replace individual components, or
  • use a USB adapter"

The logic board repair quote was extremely expensive as my warranty is over and the charge probably includes replacing all 16Gb of memory too as it's soldered in; and I said I didn't think that last suggestion was very Apple-like - I'd need to carry around an ugly USB adapter and an external speaker/mic device just to hear sound!

So I'm at a loss and need your help!

Everything else works fine on my computer, so I'm willing to get my multimeter out and start testing hardware but I'm not sure where to start (I/O card / Logic board?).

My logic board # is 820-3476-A

We have encountered this issue 10 or 15 times and each required component level repair to resolve, the cause has been both spills and drops. Rebuilding this circuit is fairly straight forward if you have the proper tools. Give me the part number for the MLB and I will forward a pic of the schematic and the board view.

I found my logic board number under the right-speaker connector (which is under the connector for the I/O board): 820-3476-A

I managed to download the boardview and schematic for this logic board (and also the ones for 820-3536-A which is identical except for the memory layout).

Any suggestions which parts on the logic board I should start testing first? Headphone jack? I/O board? Cirrus audio chipset?

Search the schematic for audio, familiarize yourself with where the coronets are on the .brd. The start testing, the measurements that you should have will be relevant to what power rail the audio circuit is on.

I have the same problem with my macbook pro retina '15 and still don't know how to fix this problem, can anybody help me?

This just happened to me with my newly acquired older macbook, which i have been loving btw, and after a little researching and seeing about the toothpick I first decided to plug in something external to the headphone jack again less toxic and potential damaging...ergo headphones...and to make sure the audio worked thru these and it did...then sure enough thankfully when i removed the headphone plug the internal speaker option returned and digital went away...without havging to find nor stick a toothpick in my computer...happy! hope this might help someone else some day to whom this may occur, without using a toothpick and def without paying someone a bunch of money (unless its me!) for a simple fix...i also expect it will happen again to me... thanks

Sent it in for repair but, after a few hours work, they still couldn't find which component was faulty.

Ended up getting the logicboard replaced

I fixed my MacBook Air without sound (hardware test was negative for problems) by opening it up, unplugging and plugging the left and right speaker cables from the motherboard. This was done following iFixit's speaker repair steps as reference. I guess they became loose over time.

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like power has been sent through the port by the amp, damaging the audio circuit.

Check around the bottom right area of the logic board, to see if anything looks burnt. Beyond this, it would need logic board diagnostics and repair, so I would highly suggest sending it to a company who does this, otherwise you will most likely waste time and money on the tools required.

>Sounds like power has been sent through the port by the amp, damaging the audio circuit.

Possibly. If that's the case, is there anything that can be done in future to avoid this from happening?

I'll investigate for damaged components around the Headphones jack/Cirrus chip area (I'm assuming that's what you mean by bottom-right area).

@capler I would recommend against plugging in anything (speakers, external USB hub, etc) which draws power from the MacBook. I come across ones all the time where this causes a problem with the Mac, especially with powered USB hubs, since they do not usually have an inbuilt protection circuit, to prevent issues like this occurring.

Yes, that's the right area. The Cirrus chip is for the main audio functionality. Feel this area to see if the chip or anything else gets hot, indicating it is shorted to ground.

Cirrus chip is very hot when computer is running - to the point of coming close to burning my finger if I hold it on there for 5secs. Is that normal?

In fact, U6200 is even hotter - can't touch for a second without burning myself. I take it that's not normal!?

Both not normal, either the chip is internally shorted to ground or a component is shorted, then shorting a pin of the chip. Measure the continuity to ground of the pins of the chips, check on schematic whether the pins should be ground or not. Then remove the chip and check the pads to see if the short is gone. If it is, replace the chip and it should be resolved. If the short is not gone, systematically remove the components with a path to ground on the shorted line until you find the short

SMC reset worked fine for me!

how do you reset the smc

Worked for me as well.

Put all of your information on a thumb drive and do a factory rest and then do a hard shut down and if not please Inform me.

I've already tried booting a different OS (ASD software OS diagnostics), and tried booting into safe mode, and tried creating a new user account -- none of which cause the sound to come back.

Oh - and there's no "chime" sound when I do a NVRAM / PRAM reset.

Thanks for the idea, but how is doing a factory reset going to help?

Sounds like you might have damaged the headphone connector. The mac detects if a plug is in the jack and disables the internal speakers if it thinks one is in there. I had a system where the tip of the headphone jack broke off in the connector. It took a bit of work to get the tip out.

It if that's the case then shouldn't I see "Headphones" listed in SystemPres>Sound>Output ? Nothing is listed under either Output or Input

Yes it would. If that were the problem it would think a headphone was plugged in and display that in the control panel. If it says internal speakers, that is not it. Hope you find the problem. Good Luck.

When I don't have headphones plugged in, my system says "Internal Speakers" under Output. As yours shows nothing, you have something more serious going on.

Did you ever solve this problem?

I have tried the exact same as you. No solution - no sound!

Cheers,

Cam

I'm facing the same issue and I feel helpless. The only answer I got fr the guys at the service centre was to change the motherboard. My laptop is just 15 months old and the cost of the motherboard is really expensive. Tried everything that's mentioned on the main post. Please help me.

macbook pro sin audio Ayuda..... he llegado a este foro tratando de ver si alguien ha tenido este detalle, resulta tengo un macbook retina el cual no tiene audio

En primera instancia pense de los altavoces sin embargo en el hardware me reconoce las bocinas internas incluso si conecto un auricular me lo reconoce pero este no suena

instale bootcamp para probar con este sistema y hace lo mismo lo raro es que en ocaciones el equipo si suena pero al invernar de nuevo se queda muda ¿alguien podria ayudarme de que podria ser?

Por Bluetooth funciona sin problemas.

¿Alguna idea?

I had similar problem with my MBP A1211. While reconnecting speakers to I/O board didn't helped I tried reconnecting I/O board to logic board. Sound is back.

I have got the same problem with my mac book pro 2017 13". I have done an SMC reset and everything back to normal again. Turn off mac and do control+option+powerbutton

fix

blue tooth headphones and then a bluetooth laptop clip on speaker

problem solved i unfortunately split water over mine after having it for two months so i did not want to pay the same price as a new one to fix it anyway, this will fix everything but you will have to use bluetooth from now on

the apple store will let you play around with different options for free to see that works best for you.

make sure you start the media again after starting bluetooth

I did not try a usb audio divice which would probably be even better but might also be an idea

contact nettemike@hotmail.com for further details and good luck

I wanted to try to reset SMC as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

But I've read section 'Before you reset the SMC' and it helped me.

I've shut down the machine in a different ways and then Internal Speakers (Type: Build in) appears in Sound settings and everything works fine for me.

Marc will be eternally grateful.