The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. between the years of 2006 and 2013.

Connectors on internal drive bay

I'm looking to install a third party raid card in my Mac Pro (2006) and have heard the iPass cable (mini sas) is too short to reach the smaller-than-apple highpoint PCI card. One option is to purchase a mini-sas extension cable but this is around $70. I am wondering what kind of connection is on the back of the drive bays as I might be able to just replace the standard Mac Pro iPass cable with something longer and cheaper than the mini-sas extender.

Just extend the wires by splicing it and soldering new copper wires in between and sheath it with heat shrink wire sheaths. I do not know the terms well but it works for most of my extensions.

Great Idea! I have put this project on hold for the moment but when I get back to it I will try that.

Sean will be eternally grateful.