Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Best performance upgrades for MacBook Pro 2012 500gb

I run Ableton Live software and need the portability of a laptop.

What are the best upgrades I can do for this MacBook Pro? I already upgraded RAM to 16 GB and now I'm wondering if a SSD upgrade is a good ideal with a 1TB Crucial mx300 2.5" SATA 6 Gb/s SSD

Should I also replace the optical drive with a Seagate 2 TB Barracuda SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5" HD?

I also use a 1TB external dive to store my iTunes and samples. I'm looking to maximize system performance what is the best route?

Is it best to do both or just 1 or is it better to get a caddy and move the stock SSD to that and take out the optical drive?

Thank you

Collin

P.S. I'm just looking to maximize performance. So SSD upgrade and I was thinking Of getting a case for the OEM SSD and use it as an extra external.

Good ideal?

I would hold off upgrading your optical drive. First review the warning notes here: OWC Data Doubler. It makes no difference who't unit you get the problem is within your systems logic board.

@col117 - You talk about having an OEM SSD in your system. Apple never offered a SSD drive in this series. Are you sure you have a non-retina model?

If you have a retina series system which does have a SSD you won't be able to upgrade it with a 2.5" drive as it uses a custom blade type of SSD. You would need this drive instead: OWC - SSD upgrades for retina series systems

its a non retina

model so i was wrong have been wrong

OK, just making sure ;-}

Most Helpful Answer

First take it to Apple and get a free replacement of the hard drive cable.

Yes! Very important!

????? is it a recall? i just purchased the MacBook brand new

MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

You should be fine if you just got the system (new, last 6 months). Apple had issues with the drive cable breaking down.

Download and run Coconut Battery. It will give you the date of manufacture. How did you just now get a new 2012 machine?

http://coconut-flavour.com

I'm not a Mac guy, but I believe I can still offer some good input. Since you have a non-retina version, there is no SSD. My advice is to swap the SATA HDD for this, and put your old HHD (or a new one) in a caddy for the DVD drive. You must do some research before purchasing SSDs, because many brands tend to overprice them. I have seen 250GB Samsung 850 pro's for as much $129, when I could get a 500GB SSD with the same performance for the same price! The sandisk SSD in the link above is available in 240, 480, or 960GB and offers the superior MLC flash, and a few tricks up it's sleeve. Hope this helps!

@pccheese - Becareful! Many of the MacBook Pro's have issues with the Optical drives SATA port. For reference from OWC Data Doubler link:

"MacBook Pro 13" models: Apple does not support the use of 6Gb/s drives in the optical bay. While we have observed a high rate of success using SATA 3.0 6Gb/s drives in Apple 13" bays where 6Gb/s link is present, some systems may not operate properly with this setup. For guaranteed reliability/compatibility, we suggest 6Gb/s drives be used in the main drive bay only, and 3Gb/s hard drives or SSDs be used in the optical bay when a two-drive configuration is desired. We cannot guarantee proper or successful 6Gb/s drive operation in the Apple MacBook Pro 13" optical bay."

It applies to this system! You just can't use a SATA III (6.0 Gb/s) drive in the optical bay. Either a Fixed SATA III or Auto SATA Sense drive will have problems! You need a Fixed SATA II SSD drive which are almost impossible to find.

Mine is a mid 2012 13 inch model

So if I do the optical drive swop out to a Sara/SSD I should use this caddie?

The data doubler?

Sadly yours won't support most HD's or SSD's made today in the optical bay. You'll need to get an older SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) fixed drive. You also have another issue here if you are thinking on putting a HD in the optical bay as only the HD SATA port has HD crash guard protection. So you do need to be careful as a good bang while your system is running could kill your drive.

Upgrading your internal hard drive to an SSD (preferably a Samsung PRO series) will increase performance noticeably, and may squeeze out a little extra battery life as well as lighten your laptop a few ounces.

Replacing your optical drive with another drive will give you extra internal space. I am not sure whether or not this is moot, as you stated you have an external drive already.

I'm just looking to maximize performance. So SSD upgrade and I was thinking Of getting a case for the OEM SSD and use it as an extra external.

Good ideal?

Sounds like a good plan.

I would just go with the Samsun EVO series. You really don't need the extended warranty of the Pro series and its cheaper! The performance is a bit better with the EVO 1 TB or 500 GB drives.

sounds good to me I'm not looking for tons of space just after smother operation

Collin.nesbitt@gmail.com will be eternally grateful.