What is matching RAM?

I have the 512MB RAM (original) and added an extra 1GB on the second slot. I get problems once in a while with computer freezing specially when running apps that require lots of memory or running multiple apps.

I left the 1GB only and I do not get these problems. Does this have to do with this being not matched memory? Could you please explain what this means or how it works.

I would like to get another 1GB to have the max 2GB installed but I would like to know how to buy a matching one or at least make sure it will work

While you don't have to match the RAM speeds and you can interchange them, it will just run at the speed of the slowest module. However, it should at least be notes that not all machines play nice with this. Some high end machines will not boot with mixed memory, and some will become unstable from doing it.

This machine uses DDR2 667 memory, ideally. I'm sure you can put 800MHz in too, but it will downclock to 667MHz and you run the risk of stability problems.

Either get a 667MHz kit, or try 800MHz in the machine and see what happens. You can see how to install the memory here.

Mentioned Items

Thanks a lot. So the "matching" means having modules of the same size only?

by josecelaya

You just need to match the type up but the speed can be up to 800MHZ

by Nick

Most Helpful Answer

Here is a link to an article on properly matching ram. Good luck.

josecelaya will be eternally grateful.