Released on September 19, 2014, this 5.5" screen iPhone is the larger version of the iPhone 6.

Microphones work, but not during phone calls.

My mind is absolutely boggled.

I'll try to make this short.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus. Both microphones seem to work perfectly fine

(I've tested the bottom microphone with Voice Recorder-- super clear.

I've tested the top microphone with Siri and Voice Dictation, understands me every single time)

HOWEVER

Whenever I make a phone call with this phone, the person on the other end cannot hear me whatsoever. This is not a matter of being muffled, this is literally no sound at all. The only sound that comes through sometimes is a crackling noise, almost like ruffling a bag of chips or something.

How can both of the microphones work perfectly fine but then completely not work only during phone calls? Anybody know what is going on?

Just tried Facetime Audio as well as Face Time and both of those work completely fine with microphone. It's only calling that doesn't work. How is this possible?

Actually, there are 3 microphones in the iPhone.

• The bottom microphone is for Voice Memo and phone calls. The other microphones serve as error cancellation
  • The (top) front microphone is used for FaceTime calls and selfie videos with the front camera (FCAM). The top back microphone serves as error cancellation
  • The (top) back microphone is used for videos with the rear camera (RCAM). The top front microphone serves as error cancellation

Have you tried with the Apple headphones?

You may still have a defective bottom microphone or more specifically a partially defective Lightning Jack. I would try changing it to see if that helps. Otherwise, there may be something wrong with the audio circuitry that only kicks in when doing phone calls.

iPhone 6 Plus Lightning Connector and Headphone Jack Image

It's weird, right? Not only does voice recording work, but I can also facetime audio with it as well. It's only phone calls that don't work.

I just got done replacing the whole entire bottom assembly. Didn't fix it.

I do notice that for some reason when I move the screen around, the receiving end of the phone call hears a bunch of static? Also when I unplugged the front microphone, there was a ton of static, but when I plugged it back in the static stopped.

I replaced the front microphone and still nope. Nothing. Still static. Nothing is fixed.

I am very confused as to what is going on here.

Like I said, if the headphone microphone doesn't work, then you likely have a logic board problem.

Most Helpful Answer

Qualcomm WTR1625L RF Transceiver Or Cirrus Logic 338S1201 Audio Codec? But it sounds a lot more like a software thing. Maybe a backup to restore? Whatchu think, bro? @refectio

I have no idea. I've restored it twice now and nothing seems to remedy the problem. Mics all work 100% except for during phone calls. I am completely at a loss here. I mean, where does the cellular connection come from anyway? The bottom antenna, right? The top antenna is for Wi-Fi? Maybe it's something to do with the cellular connection, seeing as it works over facetime audio and that's data instead of cellular? But how would I go about fixing that? Is that a logic board problem or might an antenna be bad?

This is just madness.

I haven't seen that problem myself before so at this point, I would just be guessing. I would have to probe the logic board to see if there is anything out of step.

Like @theimedic said, devices using iOS 10 are prone to a sound bug that was supposedly fixed in iOS 10.2.1.

So if you are not yet at 10.2.1, update or even better DFU restore.

If you still have an issue, it could be the two transceivers. It would be a board level repair. I suspect it would be the Qualcomm WTR1625L RF Transceiver also mentioned by iMedic.

However, a detailed history of the phone can help narrow down the issue.

The phone is actually on iOS9 still.

History of the phone is that I bought this for my nephew, he cracked the screen and had the screen replaced. Worked fine, but then cracked the screen again and apparently also had an issue with phone calls where the person on the other end would barely hear him and instead hear "wind" is what he said. When I got it, the receiving end heard absolutely nothing.

If I had to guess, the person who replaced the screen messed something up? Especially since the silence will crackle on the receiving end of the phone call when moving the screen flex cables, and crackle extremely bad if I unplug the front mic flex from the logic board, and all comes to a quiet again once I plug it back in.

Can a long screw issue cause this? I've only heard of long screw breaking the backlight of the LCD.

Nope iPhone 6 long screw damage does not cause sound issues.

The drop that caused the screen to shatter may cause this kind of damage.

In theory, damage during a repair can kill anything, depending on how the unit was handled, though I can hardly imagine how since bottom mic sound is usually not something typically damaged during screen repair.

I guess you'll ideally need to try the board in a different known good housing to isolate the issue to the board or the flat cables/mics in the housing, and from there work your way to the solution.

If I were you though, I'd start by backing up the data then restoring the phone to the latest iOS from DFU mode to rule out any software issues.

We've seen this same issue recently with a iPhone 6. The microphones would work fine in voice memos and other apps, however on a phone call the microphones ceased to work.

Our solution was as follows

- Remove board

- Remove the shield on the back of the board at the top, the one that just peels off

- Connect a temporary charge port, battery and screen and turn on the phone (plug in charge cable to turn it on)

- Make a call to another phone that you have, put on speaker phone.

- Whilst in call lightly apply pressure to the U1202 Power Management IC, the shiny one with a Apple logo.

- Talk into mic whilst applying the pressure, the mic may start working or you may hear crackling noise. If it does you know that this chip is probably the culprit

- Reflow the U1202 chip and test again, it may just work.

We tried the above and it fixed this exact issue.

I did the test you sugested and the mic did worked while I was pressing it.

The problem is: When i reflow the U1202, it just starts crackling.

It keeps doing that noise for a couple minutes and then nothing...

Any other sugestion or is there something I may be doing wrong?

Just in case, clean the audio jack.. Sometimes it solves that problem

It has a brand new audio jack since I replaced the entire bottom assembly (audio jack, microphone, lightning port) :(

Have you had any luck with this? I have the very same issue. All pics work perfectly fine, unless I am making a phone call. I have tried speakerphone, AirPods, EarPods...nothing works while making/receiving phone calls.

Originally there was static, but now there is now sound at all. It is as if the call is muted on my end.

Also having the same problem! Apple Store can't find anything. Any ideas?

Ally, what phone model do you have?

Rany, iPhone 6. It's so strange! I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Yes I have an idea about this specifically for iPhone 6 since we repaired a couple of those with this same issue.

In summary, your problem is: "sound works perfectly well except during calls. During calls there is no sound at all from either ear speaker nor loud speaker, and correspondent cannot hear you."

If that's the case, it is not a DIY repair. It needs micro soldering tools and skills to perform a delicate board level repair.

Rany - not quite. I can usually hear the person on the other end of the call, both the ear speaker and the loud speaker. They can't hear me. During FaceTime audio (and video) calls and Skype calls, I can be heard. I can record voice memos and use Siri. It's just phone calls that I can't be heard!

It's a virus that's stored in your backup. Get an exchange and don't use a backup from iCloud, it's a pain but it's the only way.

I have an iPhone 7s, and notice that ONLY occasionally am I told that I cannot be heard during calls. No wind, no static, no muffling. Just silence. It doesn’t seem to happen when I record sound. It started when the phone was brand new, but I had a new waterproof case that made audio (while listening to music or watching videos) sound like garbage, so I thought it was the case. Replaced the case. Still happens, but again, only occasionally. As soon as my caller says they cannot hear me, I switch to speakerphone, and they can hear me, then I switch speakerphone off, and they can hear me again. I am perplexed, but, switching to speakerphone and back seems to work every time. Until I can make it to apple, this will suffice. For those of you having this problem, if you haven’t tried it, may want to. For those of you who are super tech savvy, do you know if the speakerphone has a different mic? And if so, it would seem that switching the mic temporarily solves the problem (effectively “have you tried turning it off and then on again?”), but does that sound like a software or hardware problem? I am hesitant to take it to apple, as the problem is so occasional, I KNOW it won’t happen when I go to show them, and therefore they may tell me it’s fine?

spnarwhal will be eternally grateful.