iPhone 5 shows red empty battery with charger plug but doesn't charge

I broke the screen on my iPhone 5 and replaced the screen, as I have successfully done before. When I plugged it in (it had run out of power just before the screen broke) I see the graphic showing an empty battery (red on one end) and a charger plug being inserted, which is what I've seen when it's charging but doesn't have enough charge yet to start up. But, even after leaving it charging for a while, that image never changes so it seems like it's not charging at all.

I'm not sure what to do. I may try to get a new battery but it seems strange that the existing battery would just die like that so I'm thinking maybe the impact had loosened something but all the connections seem ok.

Any idea what I should look at?

So right now the iPhone shows low battery icon with plug in charger image at the bottom right?

You plug in the charger and it still shows the same thing with the plug on bottom right?

If yes then check the charging cable to see if it plugs in fully. If it doesn't then there is something stuck inside the charging port usually debris.

You can use a toothpick or something equivalent tweezers for example to clean the port. There are 5 pins that push down on the bottom side of charger port. Make sure you don't touch them when cleaning.

Otherwise if still no good probably a bad charger port.

The image is roughly in the center of the screen--maybe closer to the bottom than right in the middle--but not on the bottom right. I will try to clean the port...I hadn't thought of that.

I took a toothpick and cleaned out the charging port and that did the trick! Something might've gotten in there when the phone was dropped. Thanks - I'm accepting this answer.

If the Phone was Off for a while u need to leave it in High output Charger for hours and try power on later

From what he wrote it seems his phone was not dead for too long thats why he's wondering why it won't come on

try new battery, another charger and se what happens, this will narrow down the possible cause.

Yes, I had just run out of power and, as I was on my way to recharge it, so it hadn't been dead for a while. I was wondering if the connections within the phone could be shuffled in a way that would cause a charging problem.

If this is the original battery then you should just replace it. they are not expensive and you get to stop worrying about that too.

Mike

My concern is not the expense of the battery but whether it is the cause of the problem. If it's not, it would be a waste regardless of whether it's expensive or not.

James will be eternally grateful.