1.83 GHz Core Duo or 1.83, 2, or 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo A1208 (EMC 2104/2110/2114/2124)

Can I swap the logic board for a PC mother board in an old iMac?

Let me start out by saying I am a complete novice when it comes to hardware, so if my question makes no sense, let me know gently.

I have an old 2007 iMac 5,1, the old Core 2 Duo white plastic relic, and I suspect it has a bad logic board. When I press the power button, the sleep indicator light stays steady on, and the screen does nothing; no chime, little fan noise, nothing else. I initially wanted to throw Cloudready on there because Mac OS 10.7 is old, but now that it's not booting up, it's a paperweight.

Would it be possible to remove the logic board, put in a PC mother board, and have everything work all nice and whatnot, or is this just not possible? I love the design of the hardware that Apple did back in the day, but I'd love to be able to actually use it, and use modern software. Just wondering how to even go about doing something like this. Or if I am even using the right terminology.

Again, I'm not a smart when it comes to hardware, so if whatever I just asked makes no sense, break it to me easy.

These models (a part of these) had faulty components on the logic board. You could go and replace them al, but it will take you a lot of time and a lot of trouble to get al the components you'll need.

Switching it with a windows based logic board wont work. You'll need a convertor to connect everything, even the most simple temp. sensor, power, lcd, etc. etc. its like you try to put an lcd of a Samsung S7 on a iPhone 4S.

The only way to get it to work, is to replace the motherboard with a working motherboard (same type/model).

Darn, well at least it looks nice on the shelf.

I agree with Brenda here its just not possible to repurpose the system shell with something it was not designed to support.

Frankly, even repairing your system will only offer limited use. Apple as moved on both with the hardware and OS so this model just won't support anything newer than Snow Leopard (Mac OS-X 10.6.x). Your systems specs: 17" iMac 1.83 GHz Core Duo

Best to save your pennies for a newer system. Sorry ;-{

Anthony Guidetti will be eternally grateful.