All-in-one desktop computers from Apple. iMacs have been equipped with Intel processors since January 2006.

Dual drive iMac 5k 2016

Hey!

It's to know if it's possible to put a second hard drive (ssd) on the fusion drive 1To iMac 5k 2016?

Thanks !

Lets quickly review what a Fusion Drive is:

• It is the marriage (fused) of two devices, a traditional HD and a SSD to be seen within the OS as if it was one drive (logically one drive).

Your system only offers two drive interfaces internally. A traditional SATA port used by a standard platter HD drive, and an M.2 like blade slot which hosts a custom Apple PCIe 2.0 x4 NVMexpress SSD.

So no you can't add a third drive within your system.

Frankly, I would recommend looking at an external Thunderbolt2 RAID unit like these: OWC - Mercury Elite Pro Dual and add in your own SSD's or OWC - ThunderBay 4 mini. Which will offer much better performance than switching out your HD to a SSD and besides a lot less work (risk of damaging your system).

Hey,

Thanks for the answer, so, I know what is a fusion drive. ;)

Ok, i thank apple made an all in one fusion drive hardware. So, I don't have a lot of choices to upgrade the system ;)

adrienpelissie will be eternally grateful.