Complete how-to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Should you use alcohol wipes on iPhone screen?

I bought a tempered glass screen protector and it came with alcohol wipe to clean the screen before putting on the protector. I have seen many videos of people using these wipes to clean their iPhone before putting on the screen protector. However, i have been searching around on the net if you should use this or not. Every page i visited said that you shouldnt use it because it will make the oleophobic coating go away.

I used the alcohol wipes on another iPhone i own, and still if i cant confirm that the oleophobic coating has disappeared, because the screen protector is on top, i dont have any problems. But if i would eventually remove the tempered glass screen protector would my iPhone be missing the oleophobic coating, even tho alcohol evaporates and that the screen protector alcohol wipes contain so little (rubbing) alcohol???

Just give everything about that to me.

I need to know!

Alcohol is fine.

Well...that actually depends on which form of alcohol you are talking. 99% IPA? Absolutely fine. 70% rubbing alcohol from the drug store? Should be OK but it will probably leave streaks from the high water content.

Most of the people who say not to use alcohol have no idea what they are talking about and are just repeating what they think they have heard. You have to remember than an iPhone screen isn't an LCD on the outside. Its either Gorilla Glass or a knock off. Alcohol will evaporate way before it has a chance to chemically react with the glass. But even on a naked LCD without any glass, OCA or polarizer, 99% IPA is what I used to clean them with.

With all that being said, I use Zeiss lens cleaner on the phones that I work on. Mostly because I don't want my customers opening up their new phone and being hit with a blast of alcohol. Instead it just smells clean.

To sum it all up: use whatever you want. I've tried damaging screens with random chemicals because...well...I have issues. The worst reaction I got was from leaving 99.9% acetone on a screen overnight and all that did was make a white mark.

But wont the alcohol ruin the oleophobic coating on the iPhone screen?

99% IPA will evaporate before it chemically reacts with anything.

Daniel Kendel will be eternally grateful.