Microsoft's third-generation Xbox game console, released November 22, 2013.

Can you upgrade the internal hard drive without getting it banned?

Can one upgrade from 500gb to 2tb in an Xbox one console without getting it banned?

I have read the Ifixit manual and watched the video which seemd to say about it not being compatible with the decemeber 2016 update.

Can anyone confirm this?

i spoke to Microsoft who said they view this as "tampering"

thank you

No you won't. I have a picture proof of a chat I had with a rep from MS saying I wouldn't get banned for this.

You can replace the internal hard disk with anything you like up to 2TB, anything over that can cause problems, it isn't as easy as just formatting the hard disk and inserting it, you have to plug your existing Xbox had disk into a PC and retrieve the GUID's of the HDD and of the five partitions. Once you have these you can partition your new hard disk to specified sizes and volume names, the only partition volume that would charge is the user content partition which will be larger, you'd then write the GUID's you retrieved earlier to the new hard disk and as far as your Xbox is concerned it will be a factory installed hard disk.

It won't take much searching on the internet to find a linux script that will do this and convert it to windows shell or dos batch file.

I would also add that you'd have to write the latest OS files to the update partitions before installing the hard disk, these can be downloaded from the Microsoft website.

Is there a way to do this without the old hard drive? My hard drive crashed and I tried to plugging it into my computer to do this, and my computer doesn't register it is even there.

windows may not register it as being there as the partitions are not assigned drive letters, if you run diskpart from DOS it will tell you the available volumes, your hard drive may be listed there. if your hard disk is dead the tools out there will allow you to use any hard disk up to 2TB to be formatted as an xbox one hard drive..

Currently Microsoft won't ban you in practice because replacing the HDD does not constitute any security risks. Xbox One OS is not hacked so this situation could remain for a very long time.

However it is still likely in the future, especially when replacing the HDD may actually threaten the system and/or Xbox Live service integrity (from my point of view the chances are extremely small).

So if you told Microsoft that you opened up your Xbox one and put a new HDD in, and gave them all the info about the console, they wouldn't disable the thing?

Is there any reason why you couldn’t just mount both drives in Linux an DD the Xbox Drive to the New Drive and then just expand the user content partition with the extra space....??

I have a 2TB external hard drive plugged in, going to upgrade to 8 or 16tb, this would be a another option for you, if your looking to increase memory

You can, with the right tools - a laptop, a few cables and Linux.

Also a good tutorial from Youtube.

This is forever a debate. The ultimate conclusion is if MS deems it "tampering" then you will get banned. However, drives can be replaced/upgraded if done properly. From my understanding, if the drive isn't formatted and have the correct OS on it, it won't work anyway so how could you get banned?

Replacing/upgrading the drive involves some expert level stuff (dealing with partitions, formatting in Linux, installing OS, etc) so if you have any doubt about your skill level, I wouldn't risk it. I tried to do a 1TB upgrade on my Xbox, and ended up messing it all up. Spam removed

Score -1

trouserdelic will be eternally grateful.