Model CUH-ZCT1. Released in November 2013 by Sony Computer Entertainment, this six-axis, 3.7 V lithium ion battery controller is uncomplicated to repair.

Light bar blinks Orange when plugged in but does not turn white or blu

Controller seems dead unless I plug it into USB. When I plug it in using the USB it does the slow orange light blink but after when I press the PS button it's dead again. Usually it would light up afterword but I'm at a loss from here. I've tried the reset but still same problem. I took the controller apart to see if anything was broken and nothing that I could see is wrong. What's the diagnosis and what parts do I buy from you to fix it? Thanks

So I did what iMedic suggested, but had no luck. Until I went into my PS settings and went to bluetooth devices. I found the unresponsive controller, pressed the options button and clicked forget device. I then repeated the step of holding the PS and Share button until the bar started flashing, and then I saw the controller pop up on the bluetooth devices screen. I used my other controller to scroll down to it and pair it with the console. It now works perfectly!

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

Hold the PS-button and Share-button simultanously for some seconds while the PS4 is turned on. This will reset all connections of the controller and searches for a new one. If this doesn't help, try different USB-cables after resetting. If that also doesnt work, your controller is probably damaged.

Ok I've done both. Still no good. What do you mean by damaged? Damaged like un-fixable? Or could I replace parts?

Try this

Locate the small reset button on the back of the DS4 near the L2 button.

Use a small, pointy object such as an unfolded paper-clip (or something similar) to push the button.

Tried that. Nada. Is it a part that's malfunctioning? Could I salvage this controller?

Im tryin over here. Not sure if you can just replace the logic board and pair...

Try this

Alternatively, you can power off the PlayStation 4, then press the controller reset button. After that, plug in the USB cable (the controller to the console), then turn the PS4 on. When the blue light starts flashing on the console, press the PS button on the controller. It should pair with the console and go back to working like usual.

I’m having the same problem right now both of my controllers chrage but won’t turn on i tried everything literally like both of the controllers died at the same day how’s that possible? I’m guessing there’s something wrong with the update it made our controllers die

Did you try to delete the controllers firmware ?

I just bought a controller it is doing the exact same thing I haven’t even had the controller for more than a month yet plus I feel dumb for not buying warranty on it

I watched a video on YouTube of the same problem we are having n he checked all kinds of things in the end he changed the ribbon to the ps4 button and it workers

It has NOTHING to do with a ribbon cable.. If you're controller dies as soon as you turn it on after it's done charging, you're battery is about fried, there is no saving it you'll need to buy a replacement battery and take your controller apart, disconnect the old bad battery and put the new one in. Playing on your controller while it charges slowly lowers the time that the controller can hold a charge. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR CONTROLLERS WHILE THEY CHARGE BUY 2 AND ALTERNATE THE USE OF THEM WHILE THE OTHER CHARGES!

The problem is the battery, if you use your controller while it charges, it slowly messes the battery up, after a while it will not hold a charge and it will die as soon as you turn it on after hours of charging. Your best bet is to buy a new controller as replacement batteries can't be bought from Sony, only third party sellers. You should buy 2 controllers and use one while the other is charging. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR CONTROLLER WHILE IT IS CHARGING!!!!

I have the same problem ive had two controllers and a charging port for two controllers and have alternated in between when one dies I have never used it while charging but it won’t turn on and when I charge it the orange light blinks once.when I press it again it blinks once again.i have tried all of the above.

Listen I just shook it real hard and pressed the ps button on my controller and it worked

For most people that can't find a solution. Just perform this diagnostic test below - The Dualshock controller has a flawed conductive ribbon film strip that controls the button registry. Sony refuses to acknowledge this and still sells the controllers as is. The controllers are not cheap and the worst part is even if you buy a new controller, there is a 50% chance of it having the same issue. Take it from me who has bought a couple of them.

Now, how you can check if you have this yellow/orange light of death issue. The slow blinking light indicates that the controller is on charge and the PS button registry of the conductive film has been damaged. You can confirm this by holding the SHARE button to see if it blinks like an SOS light. If it does not blink like an SOS light, you might have a different issue and can be resolved by resetting the controllers or changing the USB cables.

However, if you do have the blinking SOS light, this means the conductive ribbon is damaged. There is also an additional method to confirm this. Firstly, you need to download DS4 for windows and connect your controller to your PC/Laptop.( I am not sure Mac's have this software. )

Once you connect the controller to your PC, open the software and your controller should get the blue connected light . Now, follow the below steps -

1. Go to control panel, and click devices and printers.

2. Right click on the dual shock controller and select 'Game Controller Setting'

3. A dialogue should appear. Select properties.

4. Another dialogue box appears with two tabs. Select the 'Test' tab.

5. You will see a lot of circles under the buttons section.

6. If the button 13 is highlighted, this means your PS button register is corrupted and your conductive film is damaged.

Don't worry. You still have hope. All you need is little bit of patience and some tools. Firstly, you need to order the conductive film for your buttons from amazon or eBay. It is really cheap and make sure you get the proper generation according to your controller. Check the back of your controller to confirm which Gen part you need to get. Once you get the part, take apart the controller (there are hundreds of videos and articles on how to disassemble your controller on youtube and google). Go slow and gentle if you are disassembling your controller for the first time. Watch the videos closely for tips and tricks.

Finally, test the new controller via PC to check if all the buttons are working via the 'Test' tab of the 'Game Controller Setting'. It should work and will be much durable than the ones Sony provides. Good luck. Shoot me a message on Instagram if you are stuck somewhere along the way at @rahimryan

My ps button is not responsive in the test tab. Can you suggest the problem? Thanks

Matt will be eternally grateful.