Can water damage effect an iPhone screen?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I'm wondering how safe it is to purchase a water damaged iPhone 6 so I can use the screen to replace a cracked one. The seller claims the iPhone was sitting the jacket pocket while on a hike through the rain. When they turned it on, it turned on for a brief moment, but then shut down never to turn on again.

Thoughts? Is it a huge risk?

Water can seep into the screen behind the backlight layer causing water marks. While the backlight is replaceable it is very delicate to do. You can alternatively clean it which is even harder to do.

I would get a new screen over that. Also the connectors could be burnt or corroded from liquid damage for the screen so it might not even work anyway when you reconnect it to something else.

This makes a lot of sense. I'll hold out for either a non-water damaged unit, or pick up a screen from eTrade Supply as I've read that they have one of the best OEM screens. Thanks!

@futuremcfly , futuremcfly , Water damage could definitely effect iPhone screen and other components. If you are getting it cheap enough/free and would like to try saving it for use, use the links below on how to tear down the phone and 2nd link explains/procedure how to clean up the water damage. ((No guarantee's)) but could be a good learning experience. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

iPhone 6 Teardown

Electronics Water Damage

Thanks for the detailed answer. Very helpful. The person is selling it for $100 CAD, and at this point, feels like it's a bit much to gamble on a water damaged unit. The tear down and cleaning links are very helpful. Thanks!

@futuremcfly, wise choice not to purchase at $100.00, way too much to gamble. Thank's for replying back.

@futuremcfly , forgot to mention if considering new replacement screen, screen assy/complete screen assy's can be had at ifixit store from approx. $70-$85.00 with life time warranty. Use the link below and click on your iPnone 6 model. Good luck.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone

futuremcfly will be eternally grateful.