Released on September 19, 2014, this 5.5" screen iPhone is the larger version of the iPhone 6.

Wifi is greyed out, bluetooth just spinning.

I recently replaced the back housing on my iPhone 6 Plus. Everything works great but the Wifi and the Bluetooth. I have replaced the Wifi Antenna (and made sure the washer and all cables were connected). I also replaced the antenna that goes under logic board. Wifi is greyed out, bluetooth just spins.

However, on the right side near the rear camera, I am missing the "Antenna clip" that is mentioned in the iFix it guide. Could that cause this issue?

I have restored, verified both wifi antennas and all cables are not lacerated, etc.

Most Helpful Answer

You can't fix a dead chip by replacing the antennas, it's like replacing the tires when your car won't start.

First you always need to narrow down to the exact faulty part before you attempt any fixes, you need to determine if it's a power issue, chip communication issue or actual problem with the chip itself.

And I would use a multimeter to do this, correct? What do you suggest?

That is going to be complicated. I would recommend finding a pro to do this for you. If you already spent too much on this phone, consider giving up.

Al,out always when wifi is greyed out your wifi module on the back is either damaged or a surrounding cap needs replacing. There wasn't heat applied to that area if the board was there?

No heat, But the phone was bent in the top right corner. While the board does not look damaged, It's possible that being slightly bent has caused damage. Is there a way for me to check to see if the wifi module is working with a multimeter?

Where the bend was at the antenna, which is above the board. the board looks fine.

The top right corner on the underside of the board is actually where the wifi ic is located so it makes sense that it possible got damaged. You could grab a schematic and test out coming voltage from the chip against connected capacitors.

it would have been a very minor bend, which I know can still cause issues. just wondering if it is worth getting repaired...or how I would repair it.

Would just reflowing it with heat gun work?

Reflowing would usually not work for this ic. If a chip on the board has cracked solder balls underneath then reflowing would act as a temporary remedy. Unfortunately this is rarely the case with this ic and even if it was this ic can't take a lot of heat. Also with so much underfill on the opposite side of the board adding too much heat could expand that underfill and cause more components not to work such as cameras, proximity, home button ect. All can be fixed but its a pain to go through. If you can find a reliable motherboard technician locally or mail in its worth it in my opinion.

I've already dropped about $150 on the screen and housing. Not sure if I should return the screen and just sell the phone as is. So, those YouTube videos of people reballing it aren't worth the risk, huh?

My iPhone 6 lost it's WiFi and Bluetooth about two weeks ago. The WiFi symbol was grayed out and wouldn't do anything. The Bluetooth could be turned on and off, but never actually worked - instead would just spin. Yesterday I received a new phone which I ordered as a replacement. While I was setting up the new phone, I thought I'd try using the iPhone like an iPod touch - just to play some music. Low and behold, when I powered the iPhone up without the nano SIM installed, the WiFi and Bluetooth started working again perfectly. I've now reinserted the SIM in the iPhone and it appears to be 100% back to normal. Hopefully trying this will help someone else as well.

Ryan will be eternally grateful.