Ring/Silent Switch won't stay clicked up

Just started happening out of nowhere. My ring/silent switch wont stay clicked up. It presses up and just springs back down. I'm out of warranty and have no issues taking apart my phone. How does one repair the switch? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Start by opening up the phone and see if some type of debris is causing this issue. If not then there are a couple different ways to fix/replace the switch.

Thanks for the response! I opened my phone and nothing seems to be interfering with the switch. How do I go about fixing/replacing it?

Without opening the body, I took a needle and cleaned around the switch especially the corners blowing air simultaneously . There were tiny specs of dirt and grease around the switch. Immediately after cleaning the switch stared working properly. It would not stay down earlier. You will not see the dirt accumulated from outside, but if you take a pointed object and run it around the switch especially in the corners you will see the dirt come out. Good luck this was a very easy fix.

Thanks Guarav, this saved me too!

Thanks Gaurav it works

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Here is the Ifixit Guide to help you out :)

Good Luck!

iPhone 6 Volume Control Cable Replacement

Most Helpful Answer

Hi there. Don't know if you ended up finding a solution, but I had the same issue (iPhone 6, no longer had a warranty), was browsing through the Answers Index on this website, and tried a quick suggestion: I pressed the the top and bottom sides of my phone together with my thumb and index finger while turning up/ down the ring/silent button. Strange, I know, but it fixed it instantly!!

this worked great!!!

It worked for me too with iphone 6 plus.

Trying this - by top and bottom sides, do you mean the screen and the back of the phone, or the top and bottom as in above the screen facing up and the bottom where the speaker and jacks are? Thanks!

this worked for me too .. i tried it both ways ..

I found the software solution "Settings/general/accessibility/assistive touch" and was using that since I didn't want to take my phone completely apart again (needed to replace f cable for gps accuracy issues). I also didn't want to spend $80 on the repair which my wife did. I need to replace the battery anyway so I thought I'd look into replacing the switch too. Then I found this solution. AMAZING!!! IT IS SO SIMPLE AND IT WORKS!!!

Have you tried just cleaning around the switch itself? I've seen dirt just around the switch cause that problem, I usually just use some fine tweezers to scrape it loose then blow the rest out.

Yeah, I tried. I also opened up the phone and couldn't seem to find any debris that would be causing issues. Looking to switch/fix the switch now so if you know of any way to do that please let me know. Thank you so much for the response!

This helped me a lot, I fixed it without any parts and now I have a very happy customer! Thanks a bunch!

if a switch doesnt make a good contact and it keeps going on and off by itself, you might try to put in the opening a little bit of a graphite powder and start switching it on and off until the graphite gets in. it worked for me so i hope it'll help out someone else too!

There is dirt around the switch especially in the corners that is not letting the switch move completely or freely. Take a pointed needle and clean around, more so in the corners. It worked for me in the first attempt. Earlier the switch would not stay down, I though the switch mechanism went bad, but infact dirt was blocking the switch.

dailyshane1234 will be eternally grateful.