Can I replace my sim card reader?

Could I be able to replace my sim card reader in my iPhone 6? I went to the apple store and they said that they wouldn't be able to replace the reader, just the phone for $299. I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative like replacing it myself?

Technically. It isn't usually a diy thing. I would mail it off to iPad Rehab

You can replace it yourself if you have the right equipment but you have not explained the fault. It is highly unusual for the sim tray to fail as its simplicity is for making contact with the sim only.

Only for corrosion would I look to the sim tray as the fault

As @theimedic suggested, it is better to mail it off for repair and is not a DIY job and as Tony suggested, it is unlikely the reader unless you have damaged it in some way. If it is not corrosion or damage, it is most likely a Baseband IC issue. Are you getting "Searching" (No Service)? What issue are you having and a little background on what happened to it?

Yes, it would be cheaper for repair than Apple replacement.

I have this same problem and im also looking for answer. My phone is not reading the sim card.

Justin will be eternally grateful.