Can I replace my sim card reader?

Could I be able to replace my sim card reader in my iPhone 6? I went to the apple store and they said that they wouldn't be able to replace the reader, just the phone for $299. I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative like replacing it myself?

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Technically. It isn't usually a diy thing. I would mail it off to iPad Rehab

Most Helpful Answer

As @theimedic suggested, it is better to mail it off for repair and is not a DIY job and as Tony suggested, it is unlikely the reader unless you have damaged it in some way. If it is not corrosion or damage, it is most likely a Baseband IC issue. Are you getting "Searching" (No Service)? What issue are you having and a little background on what happened to it?

Yes, it would be cheaper for repair than Apple replacement.

You can replace it yourself if you have the right equipment but you have not explained the fault. It is highly unusual for the sim tray to fail as its simplicity is for making contact with the sim only.

Only for corrosion would I look to the sim tray as the fault

I have this same problem and im also looking for answer. My phone is not reading the sim card.

I had this problem on a 5c a while back.

My solution was pretty simple.

I opened the phone, powered it up

and gently pressed down on the sim card reader.

While I was pressing down on it the phone started reading the card so

this told me the cage had somehow been stretched and was no longer holding the sim card tight enough for a good connection.

To resolve this I got a pair of old tweezers and and pressed six small dents in to the holder, three down either side. (about 2mm from the edge)

It really didn't look pretty but it worked a treat, took me all of two minutes and meant I didn't have to replace the holder which I personally think is a nasty little job.

I have a iPhone 6s the battery exploded inside of it. I have restored everything everything works except it won’t read my SIM card and the only noticeable damage is at the SIM card tray at the back of it how can I replace it?

Microsoldering.com is a place to look for the repair or Ipad rehab-both can replace the reader if that is actually all that is damaged. They can also provide you with a further diagnosis

Justin will be eternally grateful.