Repair guides and support for the HP's basic inkjet printer line, the DeskJet.

Why is my printer saying ink is uncapatible?

I inserted a new cartridge in my deskjet 2000. I printed once. The second time had a paper jam. Removed jam. Kept saying door not shut. I removed both cartridges then reinsert ed both. The black was fine the color reading incapatible. There had been some ink spilled in the printer from old cartridge. Wiped the back down gently after the printer stated that ink not compatible. Please advise if and how I can fix this.

There is a circuit board that the ink cartridge fits onto, inside the print cartridge is a chip that registers with the printer to let it know that it is new. Sometimes ink gets onto the electrical contacts, this can be cleaned with cotton swab with alcohol. Make sure the contacts are clean and dry and also clean and dry the contacts on the ink cartridge.

Sometimes, there is a bug in the firmware that reads the cartridge and then tells it that it is empty, in this case try to update the firmware and you will probably have to replace the ink cartridge again.

Kathleen Fontaine will be eternally grateful.