All-in-one desktop computers from Apple. iMacs have been equipped with Intel processors since January 2006.

How do I disable an internal DVD drive?

My internal DVD drive is no longer functioning. I have purchased an external DVD player. I want to disable or remove the existing DVD drive, how do i do this?

Thanks,

Lisa

Which model is it?

Any particular reason in terms of wanting to disable it if it is already nonfunctional? Unless it is creating some unbearable sound or interfering with the operation of your imac.

As you did not provide which model iMac you have, you will have to look it up using EveryMac. Once you know your model, find it on iFixit using this page. From there, click the "Optical Drive" link and your done.

Hope this helps!

You need to open up the imac, (Ifixit has great tools to do this), and disconnect the wires from the logic board. This should disable the disc drive.

Score -1

This answer is totally useless until you know what iMac it is.

i disagree. if you disconnect the disc drive, it will be disabled no matter the model.

How are you to disconnect the dvd drive if you don't know how? Based on some MAC ifixit guides Iv'e looked at, something as simple as unplugging the optical can be a pretty tricky maneuver. Besides, your solution doesn't even tell exactly what to do. Opening up the mac and unplugging is obvious. You should take a look at @mayer's profile before you disagree. I did disagree with him sometimes, but I don't anymore! I learned my lesson.

I want to disable it in the system somehow not physically its to risky with a mac

Lisa Twitchell will be eternally grateful.