4-inch iPhone released in March 2016 with similar hardware specifications to the 6s. Available in Silver, Space Grey, Gold, or Rose Gold with 16/64 GB storage options. Model A1662 and A1723.

Charging problem after screen repair

Every single time I do a simple screen replacement on iPhone SE, I turn it back on and it stays at 1%. That's it. Before repair, charging normal. After repair, doesn't charge at all and stays at 1%. This has happened 8/8 times.

Yes, the first thing I do is disconnect the home button and immediately disconnect the battery with the device off.

Are you unplugging the battery the same way as doing any other iPhone 5 or 6?

Are you using iPhone SE screens or iPhone 5s screens?

Yes, same way unplugging as 5 or 6 models. I have used iPhone 5S original screens and iPhone SE copy screens.

Have this problem with a iphone SE any solution yet? Thank you

I sent off for repair to motherboard specialist. They told me they replaced the charging ic chip on the motherboard and boom. Working like a charm. No issues after repair at all. This is a for sure fix for this specific issue.

That's certainly odd.

So you are saying that if you have a fully or partially charged battery on an iPhone SE and you replace the screen, when you turn it back on it shows only 1% and doesn't charge? What you haven't said is what happened to those 8 phones? Did you repair them by replacing the battery or doing something else? I can't believe you just chucked them.

It's hard to imagine that a replacement screen would cause that. A Tristar problem would have the same symptoms but I don't see how you could have this happen 8 times and only on this specific model.

Try to do a hard reset (press Home & Power buttons for ~10 secs) after changing the screen, that may reset the gas gauge.

Yes, first paragraph is correct. Customers ended up doing insurance claim that I paid for. Not chuck them. I have not repaired them beside replacing screen. The other symptom is the phone reboots every couple minutes. The only semi fix I have been able to do is to fully restore the last device. This allow the device to charge up to 13%. But not any further. I have tried the hard reset many of times. Full restore was the only thing I've tried that seem to semi work. I'm baffled. Have repaired over 15,000 devices and can't figure out what I am doing wrong here.

I guess you will be turning down SE's in the future ;>). There has to be a common thread here. What happens when you put back the original cracked screen? Does it work or does the problem persist?

Most Helpful Answer

Haven't had this issue yet. Your disconnecting the battery, while doing the repair, right?

I've come across this issue 3 times in the last week, and there's one point in common with all 3 devices : missing small components next to the battery connector on the motherboard (see image). I've done research, and this seems to be the problem. I can't tell you exactly what they do, but it seems related to charging the battery/not detecting the battery. If you don't have a battery plugged in, the phone will boot loops, same as this issue. I've put a new battery in that was charged, and all 3 phones turned on, but wouldn't charge even though the charging icon was present. The battery depleted until the phone turned off, boot looping again.

I've sent the devices to someone that can do micro-soldering, and will update when I get the result.

I also had already 2 times the same issue... only that last time the battery was charged for 81 percent en when I plugged the charger in it said charging en switched to 77 percent. And stayed en didn't load go up. Seems that they are sensitive or what ?

Must be something. I wonder if taking any connections off before another causes chips to over load or fail. I am waiting to get my hands on another to do more testing to figure this out.

I even tested with a new Dock and battery. But nothing seemed to work... We work together with another company who is certified by Apple for screen repairs and I have put the original screen back on. 1 week later I got back a refurbished for the price of a screen replacement. So if Apple so quickly swappes the iPhone se then it must be a known issue with them that sometimes this happens...

I have done two iPhone SE screens repairs since then. Both I did identical. Took bottom screen out, took home button connection off, and disconnected the screen. (I did not remove the battery at all) I then did the screen repair with a Genuine Apple iPhone 5S screen that was pulled off of an iPhone 5S. Never had any issues with this repairs so far using true original Apple parts. I am yet to try other things but this seems to work so far for the SE.

Same issue here, maybe someone already found a solution?

new dock + battery only seems to make things worse.

Anyone?

I have personally never seen the issue (what caused it) but I did have a look at another one from a shop that brings me stuff they can't fix in hopes that I can fix it. Lol.

This one had some very slight water damage probably like 1 drop next to the charge port connector.

Anyways I took a quick look in a 2 day period I could not find the cause.

Everything checked out.

I changed out the sketchy looking capacitors.

I even changed the tristar and still same issue. Would not charge.

Good luck maybe if I have more time with one in the future I may be able to figure it out.

Same issue here, anyone found a fix yet?

Ditto. Replaced an SE screen and nothing I could do would make the iPhone SE charge. Will have to replace the phone out of my own pocket. :-(

After the new update if you are using non apple OEM screens this happens all the time. seems like phone can somehow tell its an aftermarket screen and do this wierd battery thing. Strange part is phone will last all day on 1%.

I just repaired my girlfriend's screen today and it's stuck at 13%. Unfortunately I did not bring home the original screen to test if it will fix her issue, but I can see if my store still has this part.

The iPhone Guy will be eternally grateful.