Nintendo Gamecube WaveBird Wireless Controller DOL-400: released in 2002, the WaveBird is compatible with the Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo Wii consoles.

Corroded battery terminal: is it replacable?

One of the negative battery terminals on my Wavebird controller is corroded to the point that it's unusable. Is it replacable or do I have to recycle the controller? Thanks!

EDIT: I was going to take apart the controller to show the damage, but it's held together with tri-wing screws, and I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver. So, here's a picture of the damage from the outside:

And for comparison, here's the other negative battery terminal, which was in contact with a non-corroded battery:

I don't have experience with wavebird in particular, but maybe if you supplied some pictures I, or someone else, could help. :)

-Liz

It would be helpful if you supplied pictures

There you go! I've added pictures to the question.

You can probably do one of a couple things here:

1. Start by using a fine grit, wet/dry sand paper (about 600+) and sand off the corrosion.
  2. Disassemble the controller and get to the battery terminal. Remove it (desoldering or other means) and soak it in white distilled vinegar. Brush it down to remove any of that blue corrosion and then soak it in rubbing alcohol and clean it off. Solder it back on and see if it works.
  3. Purchase a busted controler off eBay and replace that particlar piece with the one you got off eBay. You may need to desolder it and put it onto the new one.
  4. Finally, if the corrosion has affected the board. Getting a busted controller off eBay and replacing the entire board may be your final option.

Without pictures of the actual damage, these are the best options I can suggest to get the device running again.

Let us know if any of these suggestions work and please rate my answer if it helped solve your problem.

Good luck!

When I get the chance, I'll take apart the controller and edit my question to add a picture of the damage.

@psduckie You'll definitely want to get a tri-wing driver to open up the controller. This is the only way to see how far the corrosion has spread. EBay will have them for a $1-3 a piece. Pick one up and see how bad it may be. From there, you can decide which of my options above will suit your needs for repair.

PSDuckie will be eternally grateful.