Machine-readable instructions that direct computer processors to download and render images of cats from the internet.

Need to unprotect sheet in Excel but don't know the password

I really need to work in an Excel 2016 worksheet authored by a colleague who has resigned. When I tried to edit the cells, I was prompted that the sheet is protected and therefore read only. When I tried to remove protection using the Unprotect Sheet command, I was asked for a password, but the problem is I don’t know the password. Is there any way I can unprotect Excel sheet without the password?

Call your old colleague and ask. It's his intellectual property and he obviously wanted to keep it that way.

Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the intellect for which a monopoly is assigned to designated owners by law.[1] Intellectual property rights (IPRs) are the protections granted to the creators of IP, and include trademarks, copyright, patents, industrial design rights, and in some jurisdictions trade secrets.[2] Artistic works including music and literature, as well as discoveries, inventions, words, phrases, symbols, and designs can all be protected as intellectual property.

Thank you for your answer. I called him and asked him for the password. But he said he forgot the password.

I had this problem too. I protected my sheet and assigned a password, but later I forgot the password. Luckily, I found solutions on the web. I learned that the excel sheet protection can be easily removed using VBA codes. Although I don’t know what VBA code is, this post greatly helped to unprotect my excel sheet. You also can try that. http://www.isumsoft.com/office/how-to-un... Make sure the author of the Excel worksheet allows you to make changes to the sheets otherwise you will infringe his intellectual property.

Dyonte Monroe will be eternally grateful.